The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy with Down syndrome heading to college
SPARTANBURG, S.C. — When Rion Holcolme applied for college, his parents were unsure what the outcome would be.
According to CBS, Holcolme, who has Down syndrome, was never told he couldn't do everything everybody else did, so when his friends applied to college, he did too.
"He started just telling people he was going to go to Clemson (University)," said Susan Holcolme, Rion's mom.
The Holcolme's later discovered that Clemson had a program for those with intellectual disabilities, though it was highly competitive.
But despite the slim chances of Holcolme being accepted, he received good news last December, reacting in a way that took the Internet by storm.
And as of a couple of weeks ago, Holcolme began his freshman year of college.
The Clean Cut is a daily feature that highlights family friendly videos.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash your hair?
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker and family perform...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- The Clean Cut: New Zealand students perform...
- Living — or dying — with...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Passing the torch
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout... 11
- We're doing youth soccer wrong:... 9
- Amy Donaldson: James Lawrence had to do... 7
- Steve Eaton: Sundance the Talking Dog... 5
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living... 3
- Erin Stewart: Put down the phone and drive 2
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker and family... 2
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team... 2