The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy with Down syndrome heading to college
SPARTANBURG, S.C. — When Rion Holcolme applied for college, his parents were unsure what the outcome would be.
According to CBS, Holcolme, who has Down syndrome, was never told he couldn't do everything everybody else did, so when his friends applied to college, he did too.
"He started just telling people he was going to go to Clemson (University)," said Susan Holcolme, Rion's mom.
The Holcolme's later discovered that Clemson had a program for those with intellectual disabilities, though it was highly competitive.
But despite the slim chances of Holcolme being accepted, he received good news last December, reacting in a way that took the Internet by storm.
And as of a couple of weeks ago, Holcolme began his freshman year of college.
The Clean Cut is a daily feature that highlights family friendly videos.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- The Clean Cut: The latest 'Finding Dory'...
- Utahn on 'Survivor-'themed 'Price is Right'...
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Michelle Singletary: 5 financial rules that...
- Dave Ramsey says: It's OK to take control...
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Feeling stressed? You're...
- The generation that didn't rush to get...
- The generation that didn't rush to get... 10
- Hruska's Kolaches: BYU alumni introduce... 8
- ... 5
- Why discussions about sex should begin... 3
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Feeling stressed?... 2
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: How Alex... 2
- Movie review: Overstuffed 'X-Men:... 2
- What sibling bullying is doing to your... 1