The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy with Down syndrome heading to college
SPARTANBURG, S.C. — When Rion Holcolme applied for college, his parents were unsure what the outcome would be.
According to CBS, Holcolme, who has Down syndrome, was never told he couldn't do everything everybody else did, so when his friends applied to college, he did too.
"He started just telling people he was going to go to Clemson (University)," said Susan Holcolme, Rion's mom.
The Holcolme's later discovered that Clemson had a program for those with intellectual disabilities, though it was highly competitive.
But despite the slim chances of Holcolme being accepted, he received good news last December, reacting in a way that took the Internet by storm.
And as of a couple of weeks ago, Holcolme began his freshman year of college.
The Clean Cut is a daily feature that highlights family friendly videos.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- The Clean Cut: Peewee football players dance...
- 30 questions to ask your kid instead of 'How...
- Teach your children to be coachable
- Sherry Young: Dreams of these three people...
- Here’s a look at Disney’s newest...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: To the mom who... 7
- Here’s a look at Disney’s... 5
- Chris Hicks: Modern comedies... 4
- 5 amazing true stories of fate bringing... 3
- My view: Teenagers need environments... 3
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Your presence is... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 2
- Sherry Young: Dreams of these three... 2