The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy with Down syndrome heading to college
SPARTANBURG, S.C. — When Rion Holcolme applied for college, his parents were unsure what the outcome would be.
According to CBS, Holcolme, who has Down syndrome, was never told he couldn't do everything everybody else did, so when his friends applied to college, he did too.
"He started just telling people he was going to go to Clemson (University)," said Susan Holcolme, Rion's mom.
The Holcolme's later discovered that Clemson had a program for those with intellectual disabilities, though it was highly competitive.
But despite the slim chances of Holcolme being accepted, he received good news last December, reacting in a way that took the Internet by storm.
And as of a couple of weeks ago, Holcolme began his freshman year of college.
The Clean Cut is a daily feature that highlights family friendly videos.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: The romance of restraint
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved ones...
- The Clean Cut: Kelly Clarkson announces...
- Free marriage check-up clinic offered at...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- The heart of the matter: What your pulse says...
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell...
- If Splenda gives Swiss rats cancer,... 6
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell... 1
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- Orchestra of Southern Utah Children's... 0
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0
- Motherhood Matters: How to manage... 0
- The Clean Cut: New trailer for... 0