Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of using bacon to start arson fire
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
VERNAL — A Uintah County woman accused of using burning bacon to start a fire inside her ex-boyfriend's house was ordered to stand trial Wednesday on a number of charges including arson.
Cameo Adawn Crispi, 32, waived her right to a preliminary hearing during a court appearance that lasted less than three minutes. After accepting the waiver, 8th District Judge Clark McClellan bound Crispi over for trial charges of arson, burglary, assault by a prisoner, interfering with an arresting officer, electronic communication harassment and intoxication.
Crispi began repeatedly texting and calling her ex-boyfriend from his house on March 14, according to charging documents. The man, who was not at home, called Naples police to report the alleged harassment and told officers he did not want Crispi in his house.
The first officer to reach the house said Crispi was obviously impaired and there was smoke coming out the front door.
"I asked to come in and observed a wood stove left open with a fire burning inside and hot coals on the floor around the stove," the officer wrote, noting that he also found a pound of bacon sitting on a cookie sheet on top of the kitchen stove.
"I observed the burner to be on the setting 'High' and the bacon to be severely burned and smoking badly," the officer wrote.
The fire was extinguished and Crispi was arrested. She had to be taken to the hospital first for a medical clearance before being booked into jail. Her blood-alcohol content was measured at 0.346, the charges state, which is more than four times the legal limit for impairment in Utah.
"The doctor asked her about the fire and she stated she was attempting to start a fire in the house to get back at (her ex-boyfriend)," the charges state.
Crispi, who was released from jail after posting bail, is due back in court Oct. 7.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 66
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 35
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 26
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 25
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13