Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST JORDAN — Investigators are trying to find out what caused an industrial fire Wednesday.
The fire broke out at 7:30 a.m. at 6714 S. 4570 West. Responding crews "found black thick smoke pumping out of the building," according to West Jordan Deputy Fire Chief Reed Scharman. Eventually one alarm turned into two and fire crews from West Jordan, Unified, South Jordan and West Valley City responded.
By 9 a.m. crews were extinguishing hot spots. Three buildings in an industrial strip were affected, according to Scharman. Two of the businesses — Precision Performance and Coatings and Direct Pro Essentials — received major damage and another, Quick Dispense, minor smoke damage.
No one was in the building at the time of the fire and no one was injured, Scharman said.
The amount of damage caused by the fire was unclear.
Once investigators can determine that the fire is extinguished and clear the smoke, they will begin to let people back inside.
"People have to remember the smoke is made up of whatever burns so you don't want to haul in a lungful of cabinet, or chair, or desk or whatever it was that was burning, so as soon as we can make it safe we'll try to get people back inside," Scharman said.
— Nicole Vowell
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 160
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17