Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST JORDAN — Investigators are trying to find out what caused an industrial fire Wednesday.
The fire broke out at 7:30 a.m. at 6714 S. 4570 West. Responding crews "found black thick smoke pumping out of the building," according to West Jordan Deputy Fire Chief Reed Scharman. Eventually one alarm turned into two and fire crews from West Jordan, Unified, South Jordan and West Valley City responded.
By 9 a.m. crews were extinguishing hot spots. Three buildings in an industrial strip were affected, according to Scharman. Two of the businesses — Precision Performance and Coatings and Direct Pro Essentials — received major damage and another, Quick Dispense, minor smoke damage.
No one was in the building at the time of the fire and no one was injured, Scharman said.
The amount of damage caused by the fire was unclear.
Once investigators can determine that the fire is extinguished and clear the smoke, they will begin to let people back inside.
"People have to remember the smoke is made up of whatever burns so you don't want to haul in a lungful of cabinet, or chair, or desk or whatever it was that was burning, so as soon as we can make it safe we'll try to get people back inside," Scharman said.
— Nicole Vowell
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 16
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 14