Man arrested in Saratoga Springs domestic violence case
SARATOGA SPRINGS — A man who police say went on a drug binge and abused his wife for several days, causing serious injuries, was arrested Monday.
Saratoga Springs police responded to a report of a suicidal man with a gun Monday morning at 192 E. Lakeside Court, according to a police affidavit filed in 4th District Court.
Jason McLaughlan, 39, was spotted walking toward his wife, who was sitting in a parked vehicle. McLaughlan was taken into custody at gunpoint, according to the report.
"He stated he just recently found out his wife has been having an affair with his best friend. Jason stated, 'I just lost it, man.' He also stated, 'I pushed her around and lost it,'" according to the affidavit.
McLaughlan also said he had been "drinking and abusing Valium for several days" and that "while taking the pills he has a hard time remembering anything," according to the report.
When investigators made contact with his wife, they found she had been beaten for several days, according to police.
"She was severely injured and had been beaten. She had bruising all over her face and arms," according to the report. "Doctors stated she has a fractured vertebrae, broken ribs, and a broken nose. Her nose has major damage, as well as being broken. She has serious bruising on her entire body."
Because of the large number of pills McLaughlan had taken, he was also taken to the hospital. His face and shoulders also had scrapes, the report stated.
After being released from the hospital, McLaughlan was booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury.
in 2008, McLaughlan was charged with assault causing substantial bodily injury, a class A misdemeanor, and took a plea in abeyance, according to court records.
Domestic Violence resources are available statewide, 24 hours a day, at 800-897-LINK (5465).
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 17
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10