Utes basketball: College basketball stats analyst rates Delon Wright as the No. 1 player in 2014-15
Matt Gade, Deseret News
College basketball statistical expert John Pudner says Utah guard Delon Wright is the No. 1 player in the nation this upcoming season, according to Reid Forgrave of FOX Sports.
Purdner based his calculations on the number of points a team would lose if a certain player couldn't play and the team had to use a backup. According to Pudner's analysis, Wright is worth 13.17 points to the Utes. That puts him in first place by a full 2.58 points.
"Finished No. 2 to Shabazz Napier last season," Pudner wrote. "A guard who hits 62% of his two-pointers, is in the top 1% in steals on www.kenpom.com and keeps up that pace for 91.7% of his team's minutes is hard to top. He almost single-handedly pushed Utah to No. 42 in Pomeroy's ratings last year."
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37