NFL locals photo gallery: Steve Smith scores a touchdown and Dennis Pitta loses his helmet
Nick Wass, AP
Former Utah wide receiver Steve Smith showed his new team just what he can do in the Baltimore Ravens' 23-17 preseason win over the Washington Redskins on Saturday.
Smith, who established himself as a playmaker in 13 seasons with the Carolina Panthers before joining the Ravens this offseason, caught six passes for 80 yards against the Redskins — all in the first half.
"Last week, I didn't do too well," Smith told baltimoreravens.com. "Was thinking a lot, overthinking, so I just came out here and just kind of relaxed and did my job. That kind of just shows that I can still play and what kind of play that I'm going to have."
With the clock winding down late in the second half, Smith highlighted his performance with a 24-yard touchdown reception. Facing a first-and-10 at the Washington 24 with 33 seconds until halftime, Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco threw deep to Smith. The receiver, whose defender had fallen down on the play, made a diving reception in the back of the end zone.
One of Smith's fellow Ravens receiving mates, former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta, also had two catches for 16 yards. In a scene reminiscent of his days as a Cougar, Pitta lost his helmet following an 8-yard grab in the first quarter.
Here's a look at some of the highlights from other players with Utah ties during the third week of NFL preseason play:
— Eagles cornerback Curtis Marsh (Utah State) tied for the team lead with four tackles against the Steelers; he also had a pass deflection and two special teams tackles.
— Texans rookie guard Xavier Su'a-Filo (Timpview High) didn't start but he did play during 67 percent of his team's offensive snaps — 46 total — in Houston's 17-16 win over the Broncos.
— Browns outside linebacker Paul Kruger (Utah and Timpanogos High) had three tackles, a pass deflection and a quarterback hurry vs. the Rams.
— Vikings halfback Matt Asiata (Utah, Snow College and Hunter High) carried the ball 11 times for 48 yards and had two receptions for 34 yards as Minnesota beat the Chiefs.
Click through the photos at the top of the story for images of locals during the third week of the NFL preseason.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19