PRICE — A Herriman man drowned Saturday in the Scofield Reservoir when his canoe capsized.
Three men were fishing in a 14-foot canoe about 7 p.m. when too much movement apparently caused it to flip.
Without life jackets on board, the men tried to upright the canoe unsuccessfully and swim to shore, according to the Carbon County Sheriff's Office. One man swam to shore safely and the other stayed with the canoe, but boaters in the area were unable to locate Jaran Cruz, 33.
Cruz's body was located at 12:04 a.m. Sunday by members of the Utah County Search and Rescue Dive Team. It was found 100 feet from shore, 20 feet deep, using sonar equipment, according to the sheriff's office.
— Miranda Collette
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor of...
- State responds to Planned Parenthood claims
- Ann Romney on likability, Hillary Clinton, MS...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 69
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 48
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 43
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 32
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20