PRICE — A Herriman man drowned Saturday in the Scofield Reservoir when his canoe capsized.
Three men were fishing in a 14-foot canoe about 7 p.m. when too much movement apparently caused it to flip.
Without life jackets on board, the men tried to upright the canoe unsuccessfully and swim to shore, according to the Carbon County Sheriff's Office. One man swam to shore safely and the other stayed with the canoe, but boaters in the area were unable to locate Jaran Cruz, 33.
Cruz's body was located at 12:04 a.m. Sunday by members of the Utah County Search and Rescue Dive Team. It was found 100 feet from shore, 20 feet deep, using sonar equipment, according to the sheriff's office.
— Miranda Collette
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Gov. Herbert nominates 3rd District Judge...
- Visiting minister urges unity among Christians
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15