VERNAL — Search and rescue crews have recovered the body of a woman who went missing Saturday night near the Horseshoe Bend area of the Green River.
Her body was found about 1/3 of a mile from where she was believed to have fallen into the river, according to Uintah County Undersheriff John Laursen.
Authorities had not yet released the woman's name.
"She went fishing with her husband yesterday. He went downstream 50 to 100 yards, and when he came back he was unable to locate her," Laursen said Sunday.
Authorities got the call around 9 p.m. Saturday, then searched through the night only to locate her jacket, shoes and chair.
Police do not suspect foul play. Search and rescue crews, however, found a spot where the bank of the river had caved in, suggesting the women may have fell into the river, Laursen said.
Investigators believe excessive rain led to very muddy conditions in the area and warned people to proceed with caution.
"We have people drown in it every year. It’s a river with undercurrents, undertows It’s an extremely dangerous river," Laursen said.
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- Utah State Prison inmate dies following fight
- 'People don't talk about it,' recovering...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 42
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16