Ranking the best season by a quarterback in BYU history
Ravell Call, Deseret News Archives
BYU has been known as a quarterback factory for the better part of four decades, and for good reason. Those four decades have provided some of the best years in school history. They have led BYU to incredible seasons on the grid iron as a team and helped to propel the Cougars into the national spotlight.
Along the way, the great BYU signal callers have received plenty of recognition on both the conference and national level. There have been conference player of the year awards, All-American seasons,Sammy Baugh and Davey O'Brien trophies for the nation's best quarterback and even a Heisman Trophy.
While most of the quarterbacks have done most of the damage through the air, some have also done serious work with their legs. Both skill sets were taken into account when ranking each season as well as team success and individual awards. It is also important to know that while stats played a role in these rankings, it was more important how each player fared in relation to his peers because the game has changed so much.
All rankings in conference and national leaderboards are from Sports-reference.com. All award information, school records and NCAA records are from BYUCougars.com.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25