Man arrested hours after allegedly fleeing police in high-speed chase
MURRAY — A man accused of escaping officers following a high-speed chase Sunday morning was arrested Sunday night.
Jorge Zamora, 20, was seen driving a white Chevy Tahoe at 2:26 a.m. with two other passengers. Police suspected it was the same vehicle involved in previous robberies around the valley and attempted to pull it over, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Zamora has eight warrants out for his arrest that range from theft, drugs and fleeing from authorities, Hoyal said.
When officers tried to stop Zamora, he fled north at speeds up to 80 mph. Seven minutes into the chase, officers attempted to stop the suspect with a police car.
"The suspect intentionally rammed our officer," Hoyal said.
The suspect's car continued until the road came to a dead-end in an apartment complex near 100 W. Fireclay in Murray. But that did not stop the man from continuing to run from police.
"The suspect jumped the curb and went through a vinyl fence and continued down into a dirt area, where the car went over an embankment and came to rest next to some railroad tracks," Hoyal said.
Zamora then jumped from the car, according to officers, and fled on foot. Police searched for two hours but were unable to locate Zamora, who police considered armed and dangerous.
The two passengers riding with Zamora were not injured or involved and were released after police arrived on scene.
West Jordan police arrested Zamora about 9:30 p.m. and booked him into the Salt Lake County Jail.
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Chopper pilot set to retire after 46 years,...
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 24
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 20
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15