Man arrested hours after allegedly fleeing police in high-speed chase
MURRAY — A man accused of escaping officers following a high-speed chase Sunday morning was arrested Sunday night.
Jorge Zamora, 20, was seen driving a white Chevy Tahoe at 2:26 a.m. with two other passengers. Police suspected it was the same vehicle involved in previous robberies around the valley and attempted to pull it over, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Zamora has eight warrants out for his arrest that range from theft, drugs and fleeing from authorities, Hoyal said.
When officers tried to stop Zamora, he fled north at speeds up to 80 mph. Seven minutes into the chase, officers attempted to stop the suspect with a police car.
"The suspect intentionally rammed our officer," Hoyal said.
The suspect's car continued until the road came to a dead-end in an apartment complex near 100 W. Fireclay in Murray. But that did not stop the man from continuing to run from police.
"The suspect jumped the curb and went through a vinyl fence and continued down into a dirt area, where the car went over an embankment and came to rest next to some railroad tracks," Hoyal said.
Zamora then jumped from the car, according to officers, and fled on foot. Police searched for two hours but were unable to locate Zamora, who police considered armed and dangerous.
The two passengers riding with Zamora were not injured or involved and were released after police arrived on scene.
West Jordan police arrested Zamora about 9:30 p.m. and booked him into the Salt Lake County Jail.
- About Utah: He's going public (again) for a...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new law on...
- Mom who murdered 6 newborns sent to prison...
- A Utah hiker's dream: A trek that may take...
- Man paralyzed in shooting appeals sentence...
- Woman stole mail from 127 people, police say
- 17 pictures that will make you appreciate...
- Saratoga Springs man caught on video...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new... 60
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 27
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 24
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 18
- Second student sues district over... 15
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 15
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth... 11