Sandy woman killed in motorcycle-vehicle collision
KEARNS — A Sandy woman was killed late Saturday when a motorcycle she was riding on collided with two vehicles that had just been involved in a separate accident.
Karen Sant, 24, was pronounced dead at the scene near 5600 West and 6200 South about 10:45 p.m.
A woman headling south through the intersection in a Pontiac Grand Am collided with a Chevy Cruz attempting to make a left-hand turn. Seconds later, a motorcycle driven by a man with Sant as a passenger collided with the two vehicles, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
"The two vehicles collided first, and then right about impact or shortly after, the motorcycle then collides with one or both of the cars," he said.
The driver of the motorcycle, 23, was taken to Intermountain Medical Center in critical condition, according to police. The 53-year-old driver of the Grand Am was taken to Pioneer Valley Hospital in fair condition.
Investigators were still trying to determine the cause of the accident Sunday.
One helmet was found on the scene, but police were unsure if the man driving the motorcycle or Sant was wearing it.
"Anytime you're riding a motorcycle it's always advisable to have a helmet on. It’s always going to protect your head from any substantial injuries you could sustain in an accident," Hoyal said. "That’s why they’re made and that’s why they’re strongly recommended to be worn."
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19