Angels utility player Grant Green begins rehab assignment in Salt Lake Bees' walk-off win
SALT LAKE CITY — A month ago, Los Angeles utility player Grant Green was placed on the disabled list after suffering a lumbar strain while working out in the weight room.
On Saturday, he started a rehab assignment in the same place his 2014 season began — Salt Lake City.
Green played five innings in the first game of the Salt Lake Bees' twin bill and finished 1 for 3 with a run and an RBI, but it was the man that replaced him that made the biggest impact on the game.
Shawn O'Malley spelled Green in the top of the sixth, and in the seventh and final inning he became the game's hero.
With the score tied at 6-6 and a man on first, O'Malley sent a ball to deep right field for a triple, scoring J.B. Shuck and giving Salt Lake a 7-6 win over Round Rock in walk-off fashion.
"I tried to just slow everything down," O'Malley said. "I (had) started rushing myself at the plate, so I made a little adjustment, tried to be easy with the hands and just use my hands instead of using my body. So just a little adjustment like that can make a big difference."
O'Malley, who was named to the PCL All-Star team in July, has been going through a small slump. In his last 10 games heading into Saturday, O'Malley had only hit .225.
The effects of O'Malley's small change continued in the second game of the doubleheader as O'Malley finished that contest with three hits. His contributions weren't enough, however, as the Bees fell to Round Rock 4-1, splitting the twin bill.
As for Green, who was in the training room and unavailable for comment following the doubleheader, he will be trying to prove he can still play the role he has been playing regularly for the Angels since he was first called up from Salt Lake on May 2.
His trip to Salt Lake is officially designated as a rehab assignment, but after Los Angeles acquired utility infielder Gordon Beckham in a trade with the Chicago White Sox this past week, his role may have been taken by someone else.
While the second game was being played in Salt Lake Saturday, Beckham was making his Angels debut at third.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 90
- Things won't get any easier for... 66
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 51
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Report: BYU, South Florida schedule... 22