Brighton bests Viewmont in a rematch of last year's 5A title game
CENTERVILLE — When Viewmont hosted Brighton on Thursday afternoon, it was a rematch of the 2013 5A state championship, which Brighton won 1-0. In Thursday's game, Viewmont came out strong, as though they had a lot to prove after losing in the state championship last year.
The Vikings had several chances to score early. Their best chance was off a free kick which hit the cross bar and bounced back into the field of play, only to have Brighton clear the ball to keep the game scoreless. After that the two teams traded punches, with neither side able to score before half time.
Brighton came back from half with a little more energy and seemed to gain the momentum. The Bengals put more pressure on Viewmont’s strong back line forcing a mistake which Brighton sophomore Sarah Fankhauser capitalized on to score the game’s first goal. Viewmont came back by pushing forward, which left the Vikings open to a counter attack a few minutes later when senior mid-fielder Libby Dearden played a perfectly weighted pass through to a streaking senior Raquel Watts who ran on to the pass and laced a shot hard off the cross bar which bounced back to their junior Rachel Powley who calmly put it in the back of the net for the game’s second goal.
Brighton then held on to win 2-0 thanks in large part to their veteran back line of seniors Tatum Lefler, McKell Kellogg, and Katie Brinkerhoff. It was a hard fought game between two very good teams who may end up facing each other in the playoffs again this year.
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- Players, coaches relish opportunity to play...
- Knights, Howe survive scares to win state
- High school girls soccer: Park City defeats...
- Rasmussen captures elusive state title,...
- Lone Peak and Davis take an early lead in tennis
- High school football: Dixie in the mix to...
- Miners on top of their game early at boys...
- High school football: Parry's Power... 4
- High school football: Fremont, Cyprus,... 1
- High school baseball: Jayhawks take aim... 1
- State tennis tournaments begin for 3A,... 1
- Players, coaches relish opportunity to... 1
- Knights, Howe survive scares to win state 1
- Rasmussen captures elusive state title,... 1