Uintah deputies engage in rural, back-roads chase lasting 30 minutes
FORT DUCHESNE, Uintah County — A wild high speed chase in west Uintah County topped 90 mph on the rural back roads, with a trio of suspects flinging items from their car and nearly hitting a deputy with their vehicle, police say.
The Thursday chase, however, ended without injury and the arrest of a Fort Duchesne man, a 25-year-old woman and a 16-year-old girl.
Jarvis Cuch, 25, was in a car that a deputy attempted to stop for a travel lane violation, according to the Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher. Although the vehicle briefly stopped, it sped away from the deputy, sparking a chase that involved not only that agency but officers from the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Fletcher said the fleeing vehicle traveled rural roads of Uintah County at times exceeding 90 mph, and the occupants were periodically throwing items out of the windows. During the pursuit, the fleeing vehicle struck a Uintah County sheriff's vehicle and nearly struck a deputy who was deploying spikes in the roadway, Fletcher said.
The vehicle ran over the spikes, which partially disabled it and ultimately ended the pursuit when the driver of the vehicle drove up a dirt road north of Fort Duchesne and the occupants abandoned the vehicle.
K-9 units were on scene and assisted tracking down the man and the teenager. The woman was found by bureau officers.
Fletcher said the girl and the woman were taken into custody by the BIA, while Cuch was taken to jail and booked for investigation of felony evading, assault on a police officer and driving on suspension.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12