Westminster soccer: Griffins open year with upset at Weber State
After reaching the NAIA National Championships last season, the Westminster women’s soccer team wanted to start 2014 off right, and the Griffins did with a 1-0 win at Weber State on Friday evening.
Despite being outshot by the defending Big Sky champions, 14-9, the Griffins took advantage of their only shot on goal. Abby Holbrook put her 79th minute free kick at the keeper who misplayed the attempt, and the ball went into the goal for the Griffins winner.
All nine Griffin shots came from nine different players, and they were able to overcome an 8-2 disadvantage in first half shots. Westminster almost conceded a goal in the first half when Stacy Bair's attempt on a corner kick was cleared out by Holbrook.
Abi Yanke picked up where she left off last season with five saves as she earned her ninth career shutout.
Westminster now travels to South Carolina for a pair of games next weekend against teams from the Sun Conference. The trip begins on Aug. 30, at SCAD Savannah at 5 p.m. MT.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 27