Scott G Winterton, Deseret News archives
MAGNA — Four people were taken into custody Friday evening after a wanted man barricaded himself inside a house.
About 6:45 p.m., the man was found hiding in the attic of the home at 2778 Cyprus Grove Circle.
About an hour earlier, two other men and a woman exited the home and were taken into custody. Their names were not released Friday.
Police went to the home about 2:30 p.m. to arrest 30-year-old Jeremy Nejera on eight felony and misdemeanor warrants for obstruction of justice, resisting arrest, possession of a controlled substance and weapons violations, according to Unified police detective Ken Hansen.
The man was standing outside with his 6-year-old son and another man when police arrived. The two men ran inside the home, and the boy was in the care of police.
A SWAT team was called to negotiate with Nejera because of his criminal history. He was armed the last time he was arrested, though that wasn't the case Friday, according to Unified police.
A camera was used to locate Nejera in the attic, and he was taken into custody without further incident, Hansen said.
"We made a slow, kind of careful search (of the home)," he said. "Using technology, we can look up in the attic. We found him up there and let him know we knew where he was and asked him to come on out. That's what he did."
Several homes in the area were evacuated as a precaution, but no one was injured.
"You hate to see this kind of response, but it needs to be this way to be safe, and everybody was," Hansen said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: MorganEJacobsen
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 79
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 44
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 20
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11