Scott G Winterton, Deseret News archives
MAGNA — Four people were taken into custody Friday evening after a wanted man barricaded himself inside a house.
About 6:45 p.m., the man was found hiding in the attic of the home at 2778 Cyprus Grove Circle.
About an hour earlier, two other men and a woman exited the home and were taken into custody. Their names were not released Friday.
Police went to the home about 2:30 p.m. to arrest 30-year-old Jeremy Nejera on eight felony and misdemeanor warrants for obstruction of justice, resisting arrest, possession of a controlled substance and weapons violations, according to Unified police detective Ken Hansen.
The man was standing outside with his 6-year-old son and another man when police arrived. The two men ran inside the home, and the boy was in the care of police.
A SWAT team was called to negotiate with Nejera because of his criminal history. He was armed the last time he was arrested, though that wasn't the case Friday, according to Unified police.
A camera was used to locate Nejera in the attic, and he was taken into custody without further incident, Hansen said.
"We made a slow, kind of careful search (of the home)," he said. "Using technology, we can look up in the attic. We found him up there and let him know we knew where he was and asked him to come on out. That's what he did."
Several homes in the area were evacuated as a precaution, but no one was injured.
"You hate to see this kind of response, but it needs to be this way to be safe, and everybody was," Hansen said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: MorganEJacobsen
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Vernal police investigating offensive...
- Deputy's widow laments small room for...
- Head of Salt Lake Catholic diocese named...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- Traffic stop in Price leads to 3 arrests,...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 62
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 60
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 51
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 23
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 22
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 14