How to pay off all your student debt with one easy tweet
zakokor, Getty Images/iStockphoto
The heavy burden of student loan debt is affecting more than just millions of pocketbooks nationwide.
According to a Gallup poll released Aug. 7, high student debt is also linked to poor health. The poll found that having student loan debt will likely impact the ranking of physical well-being negatively by 10 percentage points. Those with $50,000 or more in student debt are "less likely to have a strong sense of purpose and to be thriving in their community well-being," according to Gallup.
Such scary scenarios have led many worried millennials to seek out new ways to unload some of the burden. You've probably heard of "hashtag activism," but have you heard of "hashtag freeloading?"
In the wake of the über-viral #icebucketchallenge — where everyone from Oprah Winfrey to that kid you haven't spoken to since high school dump a bucket (or bowl, or pitcher, or sometimes even just a cup) of ice water on their head, and then challenge a few more friends to do the same, or else pay $100 to the ALS Association — frustrated college graduates have adpoted a similar tactic to pay off college loans.
The campaign to enlist others to pay off student loan debt has a few major difference from the Ice Bucket Challenge, most notably that the challenger doesn't have to do anything (besides go to college and accrue massive amounts of student loan debt).
Another major difference seems to be that only the notably wealthy are called out. There's no asking a best friend from across the country to burden his or herself with such a challenge, only the rich and famous need apply.
#PayMyStudentLoans I nominate Obama, Oprah,bill gates, beyonce, brad Pitt , and will smith 👌😂— Shnunu (@__keynuJesse) August 21, 2014
They need a #PayMyStudentLoans 💵challenge... And I Nominate Bill Gates...Oprah Winfrey and Warren Buffett— Mike B. (@LifeWitMikey) August 21, 2014
Of course, while the Ice Bucket Challenge has raised around $40 million, no one seems to take #paymystudentloans seriously.
If only the #PayMyStudentLoans challenge was real! Ha— Demaris Webster (@DemarisW) August 21, 2014
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance primed...
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus on...
- 3 reasons you should crowdfund your business
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings
- 4 signs you need to quit your job to advance...
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum... 42
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 20
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings 8
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt... 3
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus... 2
- Want to see if your relationship will... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 1