High school football: Late-game heroics lift Brighton over American Fork
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
AMERICAN FORK — A load of top gridiron talent was on display Friday night during Brighton’s 24-23 win over American Fork, and so was a torrential downpour, which took center stage for most of the night until the final few moments.
With the Bengals down 17-8 midway through the fourth quarter, Barton, who is committed to sign with Utah, stepped in front of a pass and returned an interception for a touchdown. A two-point conversion later, and the Bengals found themselves down just 17-16 with 6:49 remaining.
On the following possession, American Fork running back Lopini Katoa broke through for a 44-yard touchdown run to stretch the lead to 23-16 with just 4:14 remaining. The extra point, however, was missed to keep Brighton within seven points.
It didn’t take long for the Bengals to erase that gap.
The ensuing kickoff was taken by Jensen up the sideline and into the end zone from 75 yards out. Jensen then converted on a two-point conversion to give the Bengals a 24-23 lead in front of a stunned American Fork crowd.
The Cavemen refused to go down easy and drove the ball clear down to the Bengal 26-yard line before stalling. An attempted 43-yard field goal attempt couldn’t make it through the uprights with just 1:45 remaining as Brighton secured a hard-fought victory that was marred by turnovers and a bevy of flags.
Most of the mistakes early on were made by the Bengals, who coughed up the football on bad exchanges four times in the first half, along with numerous false start and personal foul penalties. The Cavemen were the beneficiaries and built a 17-8 lead at the half by simply keeping better composure.
The second half followed suit until Barton and Jensen's late heroics.
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 136
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 97
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 53
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48