Book review: 'My Future’s So Bright' is uplifting, inspiring and fun
“My Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades: An LDS Teen's Guide to Success” provides uplifting and inspiring life advice for youths and young adults as they navigate a world that's always changing.
Author Trina Boice encompasses a “glasses” theme throughout the book, tying different styles of glasses with the many avenues and choices of life. Using a sense of wittiness and spirituality, Boice also enlists the aid of illustrator Brittany Long in providing humorous comic strips throughout the book.
Some of the glasses themes include reading glasses and why education is important, groucho glasses and why humor is important, rose-colored glasses in relation to the “green grass” syndrome and granny glasses to explain that life is shorter than expected.
Boice uses personal life experiences, and she quotes individuals, some famous, as she shares life advice, including from Especially for Youth singer Jenny Jordan Frogley, author Deirdra Eden and two-time Golden Glove champion Antonio Reyna. Focusing primarily on her experience as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Boice cultivates a hands-on experience throughout the book and encourages readers to write down their own thoughts, impressions and goals.
Boice is clean in humor, language and illustrations, and there is no violence or sexual innuendos. A chapter on pornography and chastity is included, and the topic is discussed tactfully.
Illustrator Long was raised in Las Vegas and graduated from Southern Utah University with a bachelor’s degree in English. Her daily comics are at comicdiaries.com.
Boice lives in Las Vegas where she teaches classes at Le Cordon Bleu School for Culinary Arts. She is the author of 17 books and is the entertainment news editor for Bella Online.
Micah Klug graduated with her bachelor’s degree in health care administration from Brigham Young University-Idaho. She currently resides in Rexburg, Idaho.
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- 18 must-see attractions on and around Temple...
- Significant LDS Church history discovery made
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore chain says
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 119
- Why I don’t call myself a... 90
- Hamblin & Peterson: Do religions try to... 52
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 45
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 25
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17