Man arrested in burglary a week after pleading guilty in drug case
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who pleaded guilty a week ago to felony drug possession was arrested again Wednesday after residents spotted him allegedly trying burglarize a car in their neighborhood.
Adam David Cloward, 29, was arrested just before 8 p.m. for investigation of vehicle burglary, trespassing and possession of drug paraphernalia.
A woman arrived at home Wednesday to find Cloward with a bicycle on her porch, according to Salt Lake police. He took off, and the woman and her husband followed Cloward and watched as he burglarized a neighbor's vehicle at 1212 East 700 South, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
The couple held Cloward on the ground until police arrived. Investigators learned that the bicycle was taken from a shed the night before, according to the report. Detectives say Cloward was carrying several glass pipes when he was arrested.
The incident comes just a week after Cloward avoided being sent back to the Utah State Prison.
On Aug. 13, Cloward was convicted of drug possession, a third-degree felony, and given a suspended prison term. In that incident, a Utah Transit Authority officer found Cloward with a box in his backpack that contained methamphetamine, according to court documents.
Cloward's lengthy criminal history also includes a charge of disorderly conduct in April and a conviction of misdemeanor trespassing in March. He was convicted of attempted obstruction of justice in 2012, for which he was sentenced to up to a year in jail. In 2009, Cloward was convicted of trespassing and sentenced to up to five years at the Utah State Prison, according to court records. In 2006 he was sentenced to one to 15 years at the prison on a robbery conviction.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- Controversial Rocky Mountain Power bill gets...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 28
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11