High school girls soccer: Breakaway goal lifts Lone Peak over Davis in battle of 5A powers
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
HIGHLAND — The Lone Peak girls soccer team jumped on Davis early and held on late to take a 1-0 victory on its home field Tuesday afternoon.
Sophomore Cameron Tucker provided the game’s only goal at the 31:55 mark of the first half to propel the Knights to a solid early-season victory.
“Davis is a tough team, so coming out and playing like we did is a good thing for us,” said Lone Peak coach Heather Dahl. “We were able to jump out on them early and get through on some good opportunities.”
Tucker’s chance resulted from a nicely executed counterattack. Sophomore defender Callie Burt helped stop a Dart attack at goal, and she cleared a nicely placed ball right at Tucker’s feet ahead of the defense. Tucker then raced toward the line and placed the ball in the back corner of the net for what proved to be the game-winning goal.
“Cameron made a real nice diagonal run there and we executed it well,” Dahl said.
Several minutes later senior forward Kyliee Parke found the back of the net on a nice header from about 20 feet out, but was flagged for being offside.
“That was such a beautiful touch by Kyliee — real unfortunate we were just offsides, but it was good to see us take advantage of opportunities early on,” Dahl said.
Davis didn't go down easily and put a lot of pressure on the Knights late, but consistently ran into Lone Peak goalkeeper Cassidy Smith. The senior 'keeper made a variety of impressive saves — often leaving her feet to do so — in the game’s final minutes.
“Cassidy is great back there,” Dahl said. “She’s a leader we know we can count on and she’s always making great plays like she did today.”
With the win Lone Peak improves to 3-0 on the early season as it preps for Region 4 play and a run at the 5A state championship.
"I like what we have coming back this year and I'm pleased with how we've played so far," Dahl said. "We have basically the same team we did last year, and to beat a great team like Davis really gives us some more confidence."
Davis drops to 2-1 on the year with the loss.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 39
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 23