Located on River Road in Independence, Missouri, the Mound Grove Cemetery is home to several sites of interest to students of the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Seen in the images here are the burial sites of two presidents of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, now the Community of Christ.
The large vault at the back center is the grave of Joseph Smith III, son of Joseph and Emma Hale Smith. Born in Kirtland, Ohio, in 1832, President Smith led the Reorganized Church from 1860 until his death in 1914.
The headstone in front of Joseph III's is that of his son, Israel Alexander Smith, who led the church from 1946 to 1958. The Community of Christ, which has its headquarters in Independence, has been led by President Stephen M. Veazey since June 2005.
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer during...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- Wright Words: Founding member of SEAL Team...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay... 72
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 30
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 25
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay... 16
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile 13
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9