Located on River Road in Independence, Missouri, the Mound Grove Cemetery is home to several sites of interest to students of the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Seen in the images here are the burial sites of two presidents of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, now the Community of Christ.
The large vault at the back center is the grave of Joseph Smith III, son of Joseph and Emma Hale Smith. Born in Kirtland, Ohio, in 1832, President Smith led the Reorganized Church from 1860 until his death in 1914.
The headstone in front of Joseph III's is that of his son, Israel Alexander Smith, who led the church from 1946 to 1958. The Community of Christ, which has its headquarters in Independence, has been led by President Stephen M. Veazey since June 2005.
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had far-reaching...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 10
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 7
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 6
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 5
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 5