Located on River Road in Independence, Missouri, the Mound Grove Cemetery is home to several sites of interest to students of the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Seen in the images here are the burial sites of two presidents of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, now the Community of Christ.
The large vault at the back center is the grave of Joseph Smith III, son of Joseph and Emma Hale Smith. Born in Kirtland, Ohio, in 1832, President Smith led the Reorganized Church from 1860 until his death in 1914.
The headstone in front of Joseph III's is that of his son, Israel Alexander Smith, who led the church from 1946 to 1958. The Community of Christ, which has its headquarters in Independence, has been led by President Stephen M. Veazey since June 2005.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 162
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 15
- Meet the Muslim actor playing Jesus in... 10
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8
- State bills to protect religious... 8