Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use social media to flood the earth with gospel messages
Elder Bednar explained that “Meet the Mormons” addresses common misperceptions about LDS beliefs and highlights the blessings that come from living the gospel of Jesus Christ. The film will be released after October general conference in several media and channels — first in select theaters in the United States and, later, in visitors’ centers and on television, Internet movie channels and social media channels.
Elder Bednar indicated the examples of church and member-generated content illustrate several basic guidelines that should be followed as Latter-day Saints use social media to convey gospel messages.
1. Be authentic and consistent. “A person or product that is not authentic is false, fake and fraudulent. Our messages should be truthful, honest and accurate.”
2. Edify and Uplift. “We and our messages should seek to edify and uplift rather than argue, debate, condemn, or belittle.”
3. Respect Intellectual Property. “We and our messages should respect the property of other people and organizations.”
4. Be Wise and Vigilant. “We should remember that the Internet never forgets. Anything you communicate through a social media channel indeed will live forever.”
Elder Bednar also warned that “too much time can be wasted, too many relationships can be harmed or destroyed, and precious patterns of righteousness can be disrupted when technology is used improperly.”
Elder Bednar indicated the examples of gospel messages he shared represent an excellent beginning — but only a beginning. He asked members to “sweep the earth” as with a flood with messages filled with righteousness and truth.
“Try to imagine the impact we can have as hundreds of thousands and millions of members of the Lord’s restored church contribute in seemingly small ways to the rising floodwaters. May our many small, individual efforts produce a steady rainfall of righteousness and truth that gradually swells a multitude of streams and rivers —and ultimately becomes a flood that sweeps the earth.”
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- Book review: Young widow's memoir presents a...
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks friends,...
- Faith, friends and football: Stanford...
- Does Colorado baker's anti-gay marriage cake...
- Family motto helps LDS couple put parenting...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among...
- Does Colorado baker's anti-gay marriage... 33
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks... 29
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among... 22
- Defending the Faith: A tribute to... 15
- LDS mission president's wife dies 15
- Why the world needs rich Christians 13
- Religious response to postponed... 11
- Faith, friends and football: Stanford... 9