While the grant limits the team's work to the vicinity of Rio Grande Street and Pioneer Park, the addition of the Salt Lake City Police Department's Metro Support Bureau at 420 W. 200 South has pushed a critical mass of clients south, to cluster around the Rescue Mission of Salt Lake and small patch of grass on the other side of the street where a few trees provide shade.
Given this new development, the grant's service boundaries may need to be revised, team members said.
While service providers have worked cooperatively for years, this is the first time people from different agencies have labored under the same roof and worked as a team. This is the first time that The Road Home has conducted outreach efforts.
As Kein explains, "There's a lot we didn't know that they they know about."
"Together, we're a big force for people that normally wouldn't know who to turn to," Jones said.
Mangura said one of the team's primary responsibilities is to help keep people safe, which can include distributing condoms or bleach kits as a harm reduction measure against the transmission of HIV and other infectious diseases.
The ultimate goal of the team's regular visits to the park and Rio Grande Street is to cultivate trust with people so team members can more readily refer them to services and housing.
That's Anna Wright's plan.
"I need to put myself back in the shelter and get a job," she said.
"I need to talk to them (Steet Engagement Team members) because I don't know how close I am on getting housing."
HOW YOU CAN HELP
The Street Engagement Team needs donations of
men's and women's underwear
first aid kits
moist toilet paper wipes
reusable water bottles
Donations can be dropped off at Volunteers of America - Utah's offices, 435 W. Bearcat Drive, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
For more information, call (801) 363-9414.
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- LDS Church names Elder Clayton new senior...
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason polygamy...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Farr West woman found dead in home, foul play...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Ogden farmer's pumpkin patch, version 2.0,...
- BYU student injured in bounce house accident...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 55
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 39
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 31
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 23
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 21
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14