Ravell Call, Deseret News
Aug. 18: The Utes opened their third and final week of camp with a double day. Head coach Kyle Whittingham said the morning practice was energetic and spirited. He noted it’s almost like a “game-week mentality” as Utah prepares for its Aug. 28 season opener against Idaho State.
Whittingham said the Utes had a good second practice as well, adding that they really haven't had a bad session as far as effort and focus throughout two-a-days.
Standout performers: Whittingham didn’t single out any individuals in the morning practice. He said things were pretty good across the board.
Whittingham had similar thoughts about the second session, noting it was just a lot of scout work.
Quotable: “You can feel it starting to build. You can feel the emotion, you feel the energy.” — Whittingham on the excitement of the season approaching.
Injuries: None reported.
EXTRA POINTS: The Utes broke into scout teams on Monday in preparation for the Aug. 28 season opener against Idaho State. Whittingham said a majority of the scheming now is to get ready for the Bengals. ... Whittingham expects Sam Tevi and Salesi Uhatafe to continue making a push for time at right tackle and right guard, respectively. ... Running backs Bubba Poole, Devontae Booker and Troy McCormick are still bunched together with more evaluations to be made. Whittingham said all three will play against Idaho State and the situation will separate itself out. ... Monday’s depth chart listed Jason Fanaika and Hunter Dimick as co-starters at left defensive end. Sese Ianu, Clint Shepard and Lowell Lotulelei shared the top spot at nose tackle. Uaea Masina and Pita Taumoepenu are atop the chart at stud linebacker. And Kaelin Clay is knotted with Poole as the leading punt returner.
Next up: The Utes have a single practice scheduled for Tuesday morning.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30