Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Transit Authority is preparing to begin work on downtown TRAX stations, beginning with Courthouse Station.
Work on the downtown stations will be more intensive and require passengers to enter and exit the train on temporary platforms on the street side of the trains. Construction will also necessitate the closure of the road around the stations to vehicle traffic. No impacts to TRAX service are anticipated.
During construction, the regular platforms will be closed. Passengers will still be able to access the wheelchair-accessible ramps, but there will be no access to the ticket vending machines. Electronic card readers will be located on the temporary platforms.
Passengers who would normally purchase a pass at a vending machine will be given a date-stamped card identifying that they boarded the train at a construction station. They will be required to purchase a valid card once they arrive at their destination station or transfer station.
The concrete tactile strip and edges of the platforms are being replaced at each station. The tactile strips are being upgraded to match the yellow plastic strips now seen on the majority of UTA’s stations.
Work is under way at Courthouse Station and will continue through Aug. 24. Main Street will be closed to vehicle traffic between 400 and 500 South until Aug. 24.
Construction will also take place at Gallivan Station, Aug. 25-Sept. 3; City Center Station, Sept. 7-16; Temple Square Station, Sept. 17-27; and Arena Station, Sept. 28-Oct. 7. Work at Arena Station will not require use of temporary platforms.
Grade crossings throughout the rail travel system will continue to be replaced. Grade crossing work will take place 24 hours a day on weekends and have limited impacts to TRAX service.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15