Detectives still gathering witness statements in downtown nightclub shooting
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Police say they're still looking for witnesses and anyone who might have taken smartphone video of a downtown nightclub shooting late Saturday.
About 11:45 p.m., shots were fired inside Inferno Cantina, 122 Pierpont Ave. Six people were either transported or drove themselves to local hospitals, said Salt Lake police detective Greg Wilking. None of the injuries were considered to be life-threatening, and several patients had been released from the hospital by Monday afternoon, he said.
Wilking said investigators believe that one person fired all of the shots, but he couldn't say that definitively Monday. That person was believed to have been inside the club and gotten into an argument with another person or group, he said.
It was unknown Monday whether the six people injured were shot at random, were intended targets, or if possibly one of the injured people was an intended target and the others innocent bystanders, Wilking said. Police estimated there were "hundreds" of people inside the club at the time of the shooting.
After the shots were fired, the gunman went outside to a waiting black Cadillac CTS and driver, police said. As they attempted to flee, a security guard tried to confront the vehicle. The suspects waved a handgun at him, then tried to run him over, Wilking said. The security guard fired at least one shot, but Wilking did not know Monday where that round went.
The Cadillac, which had been reported stolen earlier in the evening, was later found abandoned near 2320 South and 1600 West. Wilking said police were processing it for potential evidence Monday.
Investigators Monday were still trying to locate witnesses and any personal video or business surveillance video that captured the incident. Wilking said detectives were looking for at least two suspects, but descriptions were not immediately available.
It was not known Monday if the alleged gunman was a regular patron at the club, how long he had been there prior to the shooting, or if he was searched by security before entering.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions... 63
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18