Price man arrested after hitting man twice with SUV, police say
PRICE — A Price man is behind bars after police say he hit a man twice with a sport-utility vehicle, leaving the victim with serious injuries.
Matthew Alan Thatcher, 33, has been booked into the Carbon County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, according to Price Police Capt. Bill Barnes.
Police were called about 6:40 p.m. Sunday after people reported that a man had been intentionally run over near 670 East and 400 South in Price, Barnes said. The vehicle involved in the incident was no longer at the scene when officers arrived, he said..
A 32-year-old man was taken by ambulance to Castleview Hospital and treated for injuries that were serious but not life-threatening, the captain said.
Price police and Carbon County sheriff's deputies began searching for the driver. Following up on information provided by witnesses, they identified Thatcher as the driver and find the 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee he was driving, Barnes said.
Thacker was arrested at his home and the Jeep was seized. Police also questioned Thatcher's girlfriend about the incident because she was in the SUV when he allegedly hit the victim, Barnes said.
During interviews with Thatcher and the victim, investigators learned that the two men were involved in an ongoing dispute over property, the captain said. Investigators believe Thatcher spotted the man riding a bicycle Sunday afternoon and "seized the opportunity to run the victim over," Barnes said.
"Upon being knocked down to the road, the victim jumped up and began running away," the captain said. "Thatcher allegedly ran over the victim a second time, dragging him a short distance."
Thatcher is being held without bail. The case has been referred to the Carbon County Attorney's Office.
- Marc Jenson's testimony in fraud case...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine during...
- Redford, Nolte, Offerman highlight Sundance...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Helping students 'climb the mountain' of...
- Town once run by polygamist leader Warren...
- Utah man arrested 34 years after Mississippi...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Utah's congressional delegation... 71
- BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions... 63
- Romney says climate change presents a... 34
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 17