Father charged with hitting daughter after she gave her food to the dog, police say
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A father accused of repeatedly hitting his young daughter over a confrontation at dinner has been charged with felony child abuse.
Michael Shaun Hall, 27, was charged in 3rd District Court on Wednesday with second-degree felony child abuse and arrested Friday.
According to charging documents, Hall became upset with his 5-year-old daughter, who was visiting him sometime in July, and hit her with "a metal spatula, hanger, wooden spoon and a belt."
The girl, who sustained extensive bruising on her buttocks, upper legs, back and arms, told investigators, "It hurt a lot, a lot."
Police were notified after the girl's mother took her to the hospital July 24 when she discovered the injuries, Cottonwood Heights police Sgt. Corbett Ford said. Hall was reportedly disciplining his daughter after she slipped her dinner to the family dog.
"She decides she didn't really like what she's having for dinner, so she does what any 5-year-old would do and she gives it to the dog right at the table," Ford said.
Hall decided to discipline the girl for feeding the dog and not eating her dinner, Ford said, but "takes it further," causing substantial bruising and injury.
Hall later told investigators, "I personally feel it was too much," according to charging documents.
"I don't know whether Dad just lost his temper, I don't know whether he just has an abusive personality," Ford said. "For parents who might find themselves frustrated with kids, regardless of age, from newborns way up through 17 years of age, there are great resources out there."
Ford recommended Salt Lake County's youth services program, which has resources for both parents and children. They can be reached at 385-468-4500.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- Longtime USU professor arrested in Maryland...
- Site search for new homeless shelters still...
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful after...
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 15
- Can police-community relations be... 14