Man, 24, 'extremely critical' after motorcycle crash in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE — A 24-year-old man was hospitalized in extremely critical condition Saturday evening after colliding with a car while riding a motorcycle in Taylorsville.
Police were notified of the crash at 4500 South and Atherton Drive (1175 West) just after 6 p.m., Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said. When they arrived they found a Suzuki, sports bike-style motorcycle headed west on 4500 South had hit a Honda passenger car attempting to turn left from Atherton Drive on to eastbound 4500 South.
"According to witnesses, the motorcyclist passed through a red light," Hoyal said. "Witnesses indicate he tried to avoid the accident but was unsuccessful."
On impact, the motorcyclist was thrown several dozen feet. He was not wearing a helmet at the time, Hoyal said, and sustained injuries to his head and legs.
The motorcyclist was transported by Unified Fire Authority officials to Intermountain Medical Center, where he was listed in "extremely critical condition," Hoyal said.
The driver of the Honda, a 50-year-old female, was not injured in the crash.
"Right now we have crash analysts and a reconstruction team out here diagramming the scene, collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses," Hoyal said. "Right now we don't know what speeds were in this case, but it's one thing we will be looking at as the investigation is ongoing."
Contributing: Mike Radice
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 81
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 59
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12