Man, 24, 'extremely critical' after motorcycle crash in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE — A 24-year-old man was hospitalized in extremely critical condition Saturday evening after colliding with a car while riding a motorcycle in Taylorsville.
Police were notified of the crash at 4500 South and Atherton Drive (1175 West) just after 6 p.m., Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said. When they arrived they found a Suzuki, sports bike-style motorcycle headed west on 4500 South had hit a Honda passenger car attempting to turn left from Atherton Drive on to eastbound 4500 South.
"According to witnesses, the motorcyclist passed through a red light," Hoyal said. "Witnesses indicate he tried to avoid the accident but was unsuccessful."
On impact, the motorcyclist was thrown several dozen feet. He was not wearing a helmet at the time, Hoyal said, and sustained injuries to his head and legs.
The motorcyclist was transported by Unified Fire Authority officials to Intermountain Medical Center, where he was listed in "extremely critical condition," Hoyal said.
The driver of the Honda, a 50-year-old female, was not injured in the crash.
"Right now we have crash analysts and a reconstruction team out here diagramming the scene, collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses," Hoyal said. "Right now we don't know what speeds were in this case, but it's one thing we will be looking at as the investigation is ongoing."
Contributing: Mike Radice
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Skiers celebrate snow and opening of Park...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- Alcohol use suspected in Uintah County crash...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 48
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 28
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Firing squads could be legal again in Utah 16