Man, 24, 'extremely critical' after motorcycle crash in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE — A 24-year-old man was hospitalized in extremely critical condition Saturday evening after colliding with a car while riding a motorcycle in Taylorsville.
Police were notified of the crash at 4500 South and Atherton Drive (1175 West) just after 6 p.m., Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said. When they arrived they found a Suzuki, sports bike-style motorcycle headed west on 4500 South had hit a Honda passenger car attempting to turn left from Atherton Drive on to eastbound 4500 South.
"According to witnesses, the motorcyclist passed through a red light," Hoyal said. "Witnesses indicate he tried to avoid the accident but was unsuccessful."
On impact, the motorcyclist was thrown several dozen feet. He was not wearing a helmet at the time, Hoyal said, and sustained injuries to his head and legs.
The motorcyclist was transported by Unified Fire Authority officials to Intermountain Medical Center, where he was listed in "extremely critical condition," Hoyal said.
The driver of the Honda, a 50-year-old female, was not injured in the crash.
"Right now we have crash analysts and a reconstruction team out here diagramming the scene, collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses," Hoyal said. "Right now we don't know what speeds were in this case, but it's one thing we will be looking at as the investigation is ongoing."
Contributing: Mike Radice
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Police arrest 4 suspected in 33 'pillowcase...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 17
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13