Man, 24, 'extremely critical' after motorcycle crash in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE — A 24-year-old man was hospitalized in extremely critical condition Saturday evening after colliding with a car while riding a motorcycle in Taylorsville.
Police were notified of the crash at 4500 South and Atherton Drive (1175 West) just after 6 p.m., Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said. When they arrived they found a Suzuki, sports bike-style motorcycle headed west on 4500 South had hit a Honda passenger car attempting to turn left from Atherton Drive on to eastbound 4500 South.
"According to witnesses, the motorcyclist passed through a red light," Hoyal said. "Witnesses indicate he tried to avoid the accident but was unsuccessful."
On impact, the motorcyclist was thrown several dozen feet. He was not wearing a helmet at the time, Hoyal said, and sustained injuries to his head and legs.
The motorcyclist was transported by Unified Fire Authority officials to Intermountain Medical Center, where he was listed in "extremely critical condition," Hoyal said.
The driver of the Honda, a 50-year-old female, was not injured in the crash.
"Right now we have crash analysts and a reconstruction team out here diagramming the scene, collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses," Hoyal said. "Right now we don't know what speeds were in this case, but it's one thing we will be looking at as the investigation is ongoing."
Contributing: Mike Radice
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9