Unfinished business: Former BYU standout Dennis Pitta eager to get back on the field for the Ravens
“It is always tough,” Pitta said of the turnover in personnel. “That is what you have in this business. We have (90) guys on the roster (as of Aug. 9) and half of them won’t be here when the season starts. That happens every year. We have gotten used to it.”
This year’s crop of newcomers includes Steve Smith, a wide receiver in his 14th season out of the University of Utah. He has 836 catches in a career that began in Carolina in 2001.
“Steve has been great. He brings a lot of energy,” Pitta said. “He has been a great teammate. He is obviously a tremendous football player. He is someone that will be valuable for us this year. He is up there in age, but he does not look like he has lost a step. He is a great player; we are going to have fun this year.”
“With the weapons we have, I think (opponents) will have to pick their poison,” Smith told reporters Aug. 11. “This (certain) guy may have a lot of catches and a lot of yards, and the other guys may not. And then the next week, a team is going to focus on shutting down that guy and then another guy. I think that benefits us. You can never have too many horses in the stable.”
And one of them is Pitta, who overcame an injury to strike a big payday with the Ravens.
NOTES: Other players in camp with the Ravens as of Thursday with ties to Utah include rookie defensive tackle A.J. Pataiali’I (Hunter High, Utah State) and ninth-year defensive tackle and Salt Lake native Haloti Ngata (Highland High).
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33