Utah Utes football camp report: Booker, McCormick also shine in scrimmage focused on QB competition
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Aug. 16: The Utes scrimmaged at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday morning with the starting quarterback battle taking center stage. Travis Wilson completed 11 of 22 passes for 145 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. He rushed for 53 yards on 11 carries and scored once. Kendal Thompson completed 8 of 18 throws for 129 yards and two TDs. He ran for two scores, finishing with 89 yards rushing on nine carries.
Standout performers: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said that running backs Devontae Booker (73 yards, one touchdown) and Troy McCormick (89 yards, one touchdown) did a nice job. He also thought the defense played well overall.
Quotable: “Everybody stood out. Everyone played up to their capabilities.” — Whittingham
Injuries: The Utes had "just a couple bumps and bruises,” according to Whittingham.
Next up: The Utes will take Sunday off and resume camp with two practices on Monday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30