Utah Utes football camp report: Booker, McCormick also shine in scrimmage focused on QB competition
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Aug. 16: The Utes scrimmaged at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday morning with the starting quarterback battle taking center stage. Travis Wilson completed 11 of 22 passes for 145 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. He rushed for 53 yards on 11 carries and scored once. Kendal Thompson completed 8 of 18 throws for 129 yards and two TDs. He ran for two scores, finishing with 89 yards rushing on nine carries.
Standout performers: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said that running backs Devontae Booker (73 yards, one touchdown) and Troy McCormick (89 yards, one touchdown) did a nice job. He also thought the defense played well overall.
Quotable: “Everybody stood out. Everyone played up to their capabilities.” — Whittingham
Injuries: The Utes had "just a couple bumps and bruises,” according to Whittingham.
Next up: The Utes will take Sunday off and resume camp with two practices on Monday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 108
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 65
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 31
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 22
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 21
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 13
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C.... 12