Utah Utes football camp report: Booker, McCormick also shine in scrimmage focused on QB competition
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Aug. 16: The Utes scrimmaged at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday morning with the starting quarterback battle taking center stage. Travis Wilson completed 11 of 22 passes for 145 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. He rushed for 53 yards on 11 carries and scored once. Kendal Thompson completed 8 of 18 throws for 129 yards and two TDs. He ran for two scores, finishing with 89 yards rushing on nine carries.
Standout performers: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said that running backs Devontae Booker (73 yards, one touchdown) and Troy McCormick (89 yards, one touchdown) did a nice job. He also thought the defense played well overall.
Quotable: “Everybody stood out. Everyone played up to their capabilities.” — Whittingham
Injuries: The Utes had "just a couple bumps and bruises,” according to Whittingham.
Next up: The Utes will take Sunday off and resume camp with two practices on Monday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37