Utah Utes football camp report: Booker, McCormick also shine in scrimmage focused on QB competition
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Aug. 16: The Utes scrimmaged at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday morning with the starting quarterback battle taking center stage. Travis Wilson completed 11 of 22 passes for 145 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. He rushed for 53 yards on 11 carries and scored once. Kendal Thompson completed 8 of 18 throws for 129 yards and two TDs. He ran for two scores, finishing with 89 yards rushing on nine carries.
Standout performers: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said that running backs Devontae Booker (73 yards, one touchdown) and Troy McCormick (89 yards, one touchdown) did a nice job. He also thought the defense played well overall.
Quotable: “Everybody stood out. Everyone played up to their capabilities.” — Whittingham
Injuries: The Utes had "just a couple bumps and bruises,” according to Whittingham.
Next up: The Utes will take Sunday off and resume camp with two practices on Monday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 127
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 81
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 58
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33