Former Cougar Harvey Unga signs with Jacksonville Jaguars
CHRIS KEANE, AP
Harvey Unga is back on an NFL roster as the Jacksonville Jaguars announced Saturday they've signed BYU's all-time leading rusher.
Unga, who's played fullback during his pro career, joins a Jaguars team that only has one other fullback, starter Will Ta'ufo'ou, on its current roster. On Saturday, Jacksonville also waived injured fullback Bradie Ewing, who's dealing with torn wrist ligaments.
Jacksonville lost to the Chicago Bears 20-19 in preseason action Thursday, and Unga could potentially face a pair of other former Cougars — Kyle Van Noy and Ezekiel Ansah — when the Jaguars play the Detroit Lions on Aug. 22 during the third week of the preseason.
In May, Unga tried out with the Carolina Panthers. That came after he had spent his four-year pro career with the Bears, mainly as a practice squad member; Unga was waived by the Bears in October 2013 and has been in search of a team since then.
Unga rushed for 3,455 yards and 36 touchdowns in his Cougar career; he also had 102 receptions for 1,085 yards and nine touchdowns.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Chase Fischer sets school record for...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 92
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 58
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 41
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 41
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29