Former Cougar Harvey Unga signs with Jacksonville Jaguars
CHRIS KEANE, AP
Harvey Unga is back on an NFL roster as the Jacksonville Jaguars announced Saturday they've signed BYU's all-time leading rusher.
Unga, who's played fullback during his pro career, joins a Jaguars team that only has one other fullback, starter Will Ta'ufo'ou, on its current roster. On Saturday, Jacksonville also waived injured fullback Bradie Ewing, who's dealing with torn wrist ligaments.
Jacksonville lost to the Chicago Bears 20-19 in preseason action Thursday, and Unga could potentially face a pair of other former Cougars — Kyle Van Noy and Ezekiel Ansah — when the Jaguars play the Detroit Lions on Aug. 22 during the third week of the preseason.
In May, Unga tried out with the Carolina Panthers. That came after he had spent his four-year pro career with the Bears, mainly as a practice squad member; Unga was waived by the Bears in October 2013 and has been in search of a team since then.
Unga rushed for 3,455 yards and 36 touchdowns in his Cougar career; he also had 102 receptions for 1,085 yards and nine touchdowns.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 33