Former Cougar Harvey Unga signs with Jacksonville Jaguars
CHRIS KEANE, AP
Harvey Unga is back on an NFL roster as the Jacksonville Jaguars announced Saturday they've signed BYU's all-time leading rusher.
Unga, who's played fullback during his pro career, joins a Jaguars team that only has one other fullback, starter Will Ta'ufo'ou, on its current roster. On Saturday, Jacksonville also waived injured fullback Bradie Ewing, who's dealing with torn wrist ligaments.
Jacksonville lost to the Chicago Bears 20-19 in preseason action Thursday, and Unga could potentially face a pair of other former Cougars — Kyle Van Noy and Ezekiel Ansah — when the Jaguars play the Detroit Lions on Aug. 22 during the third week of the preseason.
In May, Unga tried out with the Carolina Panthers. That came after he had spent his four-year pro career with the Bears, mainly as a practice squad member; Unga was waived by the Bears in October 2013 and has been in search of a team since then.
Unga rushed for 3,455 yards and 36 touchdowns in his Cougar career; he also had 102 receptions for 1,085 yards and nine touchdowns.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 142
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 24
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21