Former Cougar Harvey Unga signs with Jacksonville Jaguars
CHRIS KEANE, AP
Harvey Unga is back on an NFL roster as the Jacksonville Jaguars announced Saturday they've signed BYU's all-time leading rusher.
Unga, who's played fullback during his pro career, joins a Jaguars team that only has one other fullback, starter Will Ta'ufo'ou, on its current roster. On Saturday, Jacksonville also waived injured fullback Bradie Ewing, who's dealing with torn wrist ligaments.
Jacksonville lost to the Chicago Bears 20-19 in preseason action Thursday, and Unga could potentially face a pair of other former Cougars — Kyle Van Noy and Ezekiel Ansah — when the Jaguars play the Detroit Lions on Aug. 22 during the third week of the preseason.
In May, Unga tried out with the Carolina Panthers. That came after he had spent his four-year pro career with the Bears, mainly as a practice squad member; Unga was waived by the Bears in October 2013 and has been in search of a team since then.
Unga rushed for 3,455 yards and 36 touchdowns in his Cougar career; he also had 102 receptions for 1,085 yards and nine touchdowns.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 23
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22