ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as potential playoff spoilers in 2014
Michelle Tessier, Deseret News
Whether it's the old BCS or the new College Football Playoff, it's a yearly tradition for national pundits to share their opinions on who might be a postseason big-bowl spoiler.
ESPN's Mark Schlabach wrote that he believes a pair of Utah schools — BYU and Utah State — could be one of the non-Power 5 teams to make a run at the four-team playoff this season. Other schools Schlabach mentions as possible playoff busters are Cincinnati, Marshall and Central Florida.
Schlabach cited BYU's returning starters on offense — including quarterback Taysom Hill, running back Jamaal Williams and plenty of experience on the offensive line — as reasons for optimism, but the Cougars' strength of schedule questions may be too much to overcome.
"BYU, perhaps more than any other program, seems to be on the outside looking in when it comes to the new postseason," Schlabach wrote.
Scheduling could also derail the Aggies' hopes, as Utah State travels to Tennessee to start the year, finishes at Boise State and plays 13 regular-season games. Still, Schlabach points to a big reason for the confidence in the team from Logan.
"Quarterback Chuckie Keeton is back for his senior season and might be a darkhorse candidate for the Heisman Trophy," Schlabach wrote.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21