Ravell Call, Deseret News
KEARNS — A man who police say tried to kidnap a girl at the Utah Olympic Oval was charged Friday.
Michael James Schwegler, 19, of Kearns, was charged in 3rd District Court with kidnapping, a second-degree felony.
According to charging documents, a girl between the ages of 14 and 18 was in the bathroom at the Utah Olympic Oval, 5662 S. Cougar Lane, washing her hands when a man approached her from behind and put her in a choke hold, according to charges.
The man started to pull the girl backward and told her to "come with me," the charges state. The girl fought with the man and broke free and ran away.
The charges do not say how investigators identified Schwegler. Detectives believe it was an isolated incident.
— Pat Reavy
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Judge tosses snowboarders' lawsuit demanding...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Granite School District reminds teachers of...
- Bingham High students walk out over... 96
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 28
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 16