Ravell Call, Deseret News
KEARNS — A man who police say tried to kidnap a girl at the Utah Olympic Oval was charged Friday.
Michael James Schwegler, 19, of Kearns, was charged in 3rd District Court with kidnapping, a second-degree felony.
According to charging documents, a girl between the ages of 14 and 18 was in the bathroom at the Utah Olympic Oval, 5662 S. Cougar Lane, washing her hands when a man approached her from behind and put her in a choke hold, according to charges.
The man started to pull the girl backward and told her to "come with me," the charges state. The girl fought with the man and broke free and ran away.
The charges do not say how investigators identified Schwegler. Detectives believe it was an isolated incident.
— Pat Reavy
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 14