Ravell Call, Deseret News
KEARNS — A man who police say tried to kidnap a girl at the Utah Olympic Oval was charged Friday.
Michael James Schwegler, 19, of Kearns, was charged in 3rd District Court with kidnapping, a second-degree felony.
According to charging documents, a girl between the ages of 14 and 18 was in the bathroom at the Utah Olympic Oval, 5662 S. Cougar Lane, washing her hands when a man approached her from behind and put her in a choke hold, according to charges.
The man started to pull the girl backward and told her to "come with me," the charges state. The girl fought with the man and broke free and ran away.
The charges do not say how investigators identified Schwegler. Detectives believe it was an isolated incident.
— Pat Reavy
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11