Ravell Call, Deseret News
KEARNS — A man who police say tried to kidnap a girl at the Utah Olympic Oval was charged Friday.
Michael James Schwegler, 19, of Kearns, was charged in 3rd District Court with kidnapping, a second-degree felony.
According to charging documents, a girl between the ages of 14 and 18 was in the bathroom at the Utah Olympic Oval, 5662 S. Cougar Lane, washing her hands when a man approached her from behind and put her in a choke hold, according to charges.
The man started to pull the girl backward and told her to "come with me," the charges state. The girl fought with the man and broke free and ran away.
The charges do not say how investigators identified Schwegler. Detectives believe it was an isolated incident.
— Pat Reavy
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 119
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 25
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 16
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12