Ravell Call, Deseret News
KEARNS — A man who police say tried to kidnap a girl at the Utah Olympic Oval was charged Friday.
Michael James Schwegler, 19, of Kearns, was charged in 3rd District Court with kidnapping, a second-degree felony.
According to charging documents, a girl between the ages of 14 and 18 was in the bathroom at the Utah Olympic Oval, 5662 S. Cougar Lane, washing her hands when a man approached her from behind and put her in a choke hold, according to charges.
The man started to pull the girl backward and told her to "come with me," the charges state. The girl fought with the man and broke free and ran away.
The charges do not say how investigators identified Schwegler. Detectives believe it was an isolated incident.
— Pat Reavy
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark...
- Women innovators leading by example
- Testimony focuses on relationship between...
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- Hiker pulled from Bell Canyon after fall
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 38
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark... 18
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 16
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 13
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake... 10