Ravell Call, Deseret News
KEARNS — A man who police say tried to kidnap a girl at the Utah Olympic Oval was charged Friday.
Michael James Schwegler, 19, of Kearns, was charged in 3rd District Court with kidnapping, a second-degree felony.
According to charging documents, a girl between the ages of 14 and 18 was in the bathroom at the Utah Olympic Oval, 5662 S. Cougar Lane, washing her hands when a man approached her from behind and put her in a choke hold, according to charges.
The man started to pull the girl backward and told her to "come with me," the charges state. The girl fought with the man and broke free and ran away.
The charges do not say how investigators identified Schwegler. Detectives believe it was an isolated incident.
— Pat Reavy
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- Mom whose unbuckled child died was cited for...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 84
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 54
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 45
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 34
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15