Charges filed against man who allegedly tried to rob smoke shop twice
TAYLORSVILLE — A man arrested earlier this week for allegedly trying to rob the same smoke shop two days in a row told investigators he "just had to get some money," according to court documents.
Anai Ajack, 19, was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, illegally carrying a concealed weapon, obstructing justice, theft by receiving stolen property and failing to stop at the command of a law enforcer.
On Tuesday, investigators say Ajack robbed Lucky's smoke shop, 4128 S. 1785 West, at gunpoint while a 17-year-old boy stood lookout outside, according to charging documents. Both men were reportedly armed, the charges stated.
After robbing the store of about $190, the teen said Ajack bought him a hot dog and soda as "his reward for his part in the robbery," according to the charges.
The next day, the same two went by the smoke shop again. This time, the clerk locked the door and called police.
After a short foot chase, detectives found a handgun discarded in a Dumpster and a second silver handgun in the parking lot of a nearby K-mart. The .38-caliber revolver, which was believed to have been used in the robbery, was discovered to be stolen out of Arkansas, according to court documents.
While searching a nearby apartment complex, investigators found a folder with papers inside with Ajack's name on them, the charges state.
When detectives asked the juvenile about the gun found in the Dumpster, he said he saw it while taking out the trash and may have picked it up, which is why his fingerprints were on it, but then put it back in the Dumpster, according to the charges.
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Executive action brings 'temporary relief'...
- Groups petition for gun bans from school...
- AF High Band performs with borrowed...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 61
- Sen. Mike Lee: Congress needs to remind... 55
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 46
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32