David Becker, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz added a free agent guard on Friday, but Jazz fans shouldn’t expect the new player to make a big impact on this year’s team.
Dee Bost, a 6-foot-2, 176-pounder who played collegiately at Mississippi State and for the Idaho Stampede last year, signed a free agent contract with financial terms not released by the Jazz.
With the Jazz already having guards Alec Burks, Trey Burke, Dante Exum and Ian Clark on the roster as well as guard-forwards Gordon Hayward and Rodney Hood, Bost may have a difficult time making the team. He could end up playing again for Idaho, which is the D-League affiliate for the Jazz, if he doesn’t make the roster after training camp.
Bost was an D-League all-star last year when he averaged 15.2 points, 8.4 assists, 6.1 rebounds and 2.1 steals for Idaho. He scored in double figures in 41 of 50 games and also registered five triple-doubles and 10 double-doubles.
At Mississippi State, Bost played with Jazz first-round draft choice Rodney Hood in 2009-10 when Hood made the SEC all-freshman team. That year Bost averaged 13.0 points per game and was named second-team all-SEC, while Hood averaged 10.3 points per game.
Before playing for Idaho last year, the 24-year-old Bost attended training camp with the Portland Trail Blazers. He spent the 2012-13 season with Budućnost Podgorica of Montenegro, where he appeared in 54 games (44 starts) and averaged 8.3 points, 1.8 assists and 3.0 rebounds in 21.5 minutes per game.
Bost is a native of Charlotte, N.C., and besides playing at Concord High School in Concord, N.C., he played one season at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., helping lead the team to a perfect 29-0 record and the 2008 National Prep Championship.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26