Jason Olson, Deseret News Archives
EAGLE MOUNTAIN — Runners, cyclists, walkers and horseback riders can now get a history lesson as they move along a recreational path through Eagle Mountain that follows the original Pony Express Trail.
The city collaborated with the School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration and the National Park Service to install educational signs to help guide and educate Pony Express Trail users.
The project spans 1 mile and includes two orientation panels that provide an overview of the area and identify points of interest, as well as six interpretive or educational panels that provide information about the history of the trail, Native Americans, and ancient Lake Bonneville.
Benches have also been purchased and will be installed in the near future. Directional signs on Redwood Road and Cory B. Wride Memorial Highway (state Route 73) guide visitors from outside of Eagle Mountain to the site.
“We appreciate our partnership with SITLA and the (National Park Service) on this project,” said Eagle Mountain Mayor Chris Pengra. “These informational signs will add interest and meaning to the recreational trail system in our young and growing community.”
Funding for the project was provided by the National Park Service, Eagle Mountain and SITLA. The National Park Service contributed half the funding in the form of a grant, while Eagle Mountain and SITLA jointly matched that contribution in both dollars and in-kind donations of equipment and staff for project management.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 156
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 60
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 45
- Police release names of officers... 31
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 29
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18