SOUTH SALT LAKE — One man was arrested following a shooting Thursday that left another man in critical condition.
About 8 p.m., three men in a vehicle drove to a residence at 3798 S. 200 East. Two people from inside the residence came outside, and a confrontation between the two groups took place on the driveway, said South Salt Lake police detective Darin Sweeten.
The verbal and physical altercation ended with shots fired.
Martin Mercado Cuevas, 48, was arrested for investigation of two counts of aggravated assault and eight counts of discharging a firearm in city limits. Cuevas told police he fired eight rounds at a vehicle that was occupied, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
A 32-year-old man in the car was hit. He was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. Police did not immediately release his name. Sweeten said his injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, but he remained in the intensive care unit Friday.
— Pat Reavy
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- The truth about addiction
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 52
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 28
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12