SOUTH SALT LAKE — One man was arrested following a shooting Thursday that left another man in critical condition.
About 8 p.m., three men in a vehicle drove to a residence at 3798 S. 200 East. Two people from inside the residence came outside, and a confrontation between the two groups took place on the driveway, said South Salt Lake police detective Darin Sweeten.
The verbal and physical altercation ended with shots fired.
Martin Mercado Cuevas, 48, was arrested for investigation of two counts of aggravated assault and eight counts of discharging a firearm in city limits. Cuevas told police he fired eight rounds at a vehicle that was occupied, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
A 32-year-old man in the car was hit. He was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. Police did not immediately release his name. Sweeten said his injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, but he remained in the intensive care unit Friday.
— Pat Reavy
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17