High school football: Timpanogos T-Wolves 2014 preview
Coach: Joe DuPaix is in his first year coaching at Timpanogos after spending two years as an assistant coach at BYU and three years as an assistant at Navy.
Offense (3 returning starters; Flexbone offense)
Joe DuPaix plans on bringing a lot of concepts inherent with the Navy flexbone offense with him to Timpanogos. To him, featuring a running quarterback is necessary to see success.
“I think in this day and age, and at this level, you’re not smart if you don’t use your quarterback’s legs. Unless you have a yoked-up offensive line, which we don’t, I think you have to do that,” he said.
Defense (3 returning starters; 3-4 defense)
The defense will have to rely on a promising front and backfield that is a bit inexperienced, undersized and thin in numbers.
"That's the way it is in 4A football, but we like some of the guys we've seen and think we can form a solid defense here," Joe DuPaix said. "It's great having a guy like Cory Morin, though. He's already established as a leader."
Coaches preseason Region 7 poll: Sixth
Deseret News Region 7 prediction: Fourth
Bottom line: It's always hard to gauge how a team under a first-year coach will fare, and that's certainly the case with Timpanogos. In time Joe DuPaix should build a successful program, but expect the Timberwolves to struggle this season learning a new system while playing in a tough Region 7.
Timpanogos coaching history
2014 — Joe Dupaix (0-0)
2010-2013 — Ed Larson (26-27)
2009 — Brad King (3-6)
2006-2008 — Brad Molen (13-18)
2004-2005 — Frank Bramall (8-13)
2003 — Darren DeGracie (4-5)
2001-2002 — Frank Bramall (13-10)
1996-2000 — Marc McKenney (7-40)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2007 — Christian Stewart, QB
2007 — Grant Jimenez, WR
2007 — David Kruger, DL
2007 — Taylor Lyons, DB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Cory Morin talks about the coming year.
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No. 23 in...
- Ziggy Ansah helps homeless man after he was...
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6 seasons, but...
- Dick Harmon: BYU safeties Craig Bills, Dallin...
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback...
- Brad Rock: Expect back to the future with...
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- Utah State batters Wake Forest but loses...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 123
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 47
- Peavler: BYU knows it can't afford to... 42
- Dick Harmon: Leap of faith takes on... 39
- BYU football report card: Mostly B's... 35
- BYU, Houston to wear patriotic helmets... 31
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 28