High school football: Timpanogos T-Wolves 2014 preview
Coach: Joe DuPaix is in his first year coaching at Timpanogos after spending two years as an assistant coach at BYU and three years as an assistant at Navy.
Offense (3 returning starters; Flexbone offense)
Joe DuPaix plans on bringing a lot of concepts inherent with the Navy flexbone offense with him to Timpanogos. To him, featuring a running quarterback is necessary to see success.
“I think in this day and age, and at this level, you’re not smart if you don’t use your quarterback’s legs. Unless you have a yoked-up offensive line, which we don’t, I think you have to do that,” he said.
Defense (3 returning starters; 3-4 defense)
The defense will have to rely on a promising front and backfield that is a bit inexperienced, undersized and thin in numbers.
"That's the way it is in 4A football, but we like some of the guys we've seen and think we can form a solid defense here," Joe DuPaix said. "It's great having a guy like Cory Morin, though. He's already established as a leader."
Coaches preseason Region 7 poll: Sixth
Deseret News Region 7 prediction: Fourth
Bottom line: It's always hard to gauge how a team under a first-year coach will fare, and that's certainly the case with Timpanogos. In time Joe DuPaix should build a successful program, but expect the Timberwolves to struggle this season learning a new system while playing in a tough Region 7.
Timpanogos coaching history
2014 — Joe Dupaix (0-0)
2010-2013 — Ed Larson (26-27)
2009 — Brad King (3-6)
2006-2008 — Brad Molen (13-18)
2004-2005 — Frank Bramall (8-13)
2003 — Darren DeGracie (4-5)
2001-2002 — Frank Bramall (13-10)
1996-2000 — Marc McKenney (7-40)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2007 — Christian Stewart, QB
2007 — Grant Jimenez, WR
2007 — David Kruger, DL
2007 — Taylor Lyons, DB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Cory Morin talks about the coming year.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 110
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 34
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20