USU football: offense and defense shine during second two-a-day of fall camp
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah State football held its second two-a-day of fall camp Thursday, and second-year head coach Matt Wells said he was pleased with the play on both sides of the ball.
“The defense won this morning’s practice, which is an indication of a good team, because there has been good give and take throughout fall camp,” Wells said. “This afternoon’s practice was pretty even. The offense dominated both two-minute drills out of the gate and then I thought the defense played really well at the end of practice.”
Highlights from both practices Thursday included three more interceptions by the Aggie secondary as senior safety Brian Suite, freshman safety Jontrell Rocquemore and junior safety Marwin Evans had picks. Offensively, redshirt freshman wide receiver Hayden Weichers and sophomore running back Kennedy Williams scored touchdowns during live drills.
Thursday was the 10th and 11th of 29 practices for Utah State leading up to its season opener at Tennessee on Sunday, Aug. 31 at 5 p.m. MT.
Utah State practices Friday from 2:15-4:15 p.m., and ends its second week of fall camp with its second scrimmage as part of the Football Family Fun Day on Saturday, Aug. 16 at 6 p.m.
Utah State opens the 2014 season Sunday, Aug. 31, at Tennessee and plays its first home game the following weekend against Idaho State on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m. USU's first Mountain West game will be at home against Air Force on Saturday, Oct. 11, and the Aggies conclude the regular season at MW foe Boise State on Saturday, Nov. 29. The Mountain West Championship game will be held Saturday, Dec. 6, at the home stadium of the divisional champion with the highest College Football Playoff Committee ranking.
All practices during fall camp, which concludes Saturday, Aug. 23, are open to the public.
Doug Hoffman is the associate athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16