USU football: offense and defense shine during second two-a-day of fall camp
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah State football held its second two-a-day of fall camp Thursday, and second-year head coach Matt Wells said he was pleased with the play on both sides of the ball.
“The defense won this morning’s practice, which is an indication of a good team, because there has been good give and take throughout fall camp,” Wells said. “This afternoon’s practice was pretty even. The offense dominated both two-minute drills out of the gate and then I thought the defense played really well at the end of practice.”
Highlights from both practices Thursday included three more interceptions by the Aggie secondary as senior safety Brian Suite, freshman safety Jontrell Rocquemore and junior safety Marwin Evans had picks. Offensively, redshirt freshman wide receiver Hayden Weichers and sophomore running back Kennedy Williams scored touchdowns during live drills.
Thursday was the 10th and 11th of 29 practices for Utah State leading up to its season opener at Tennessee on Sunday, Aug. 31 at 5 p.m. MT.
Utah State practices Friday from 2:15-4:15 p.m., and ends its second week of fall camp with its second scrimmage as part of the Football Family Fun Day on Saturday, Aug. 16 at 6 p.m.
Utah State opens the 2014 season Sunday, Aug. 31, at Tennessee and plays its first home game the following weekend against Idaho State on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m. USU's first Mountain West game will be at home against Air Force on Saturday, Oct. 11, and the Aggies conclude the regular season at MW foe Boise State on Saturday, Nov. 29. The Mountain West Championship game will be held Saturday, Dec. 6, at the home stadium of the divisional champion with the highest College Football Playoff Committee ranking.
All practices during fall camp, which concludes Saturday, Aug. 23, are open to the public.
Doug Hoffman is the associate athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 40
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 36
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 23
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 20