SOUTH SALT LAKE — A motorcyclist who sped away for an unknown reason when approached by police crashed into the side of an SUV, resulting in his death and critically injuring his female passenger.
The accident happened just after 3 p.m. Thursday. A witness called police about a possible domestic argument between a man and woman who had pulled their motorcycle off to the side of the road near 3600 S. State, said South Salt Lake police detective Darin Sweeten.
As soon as the officer pulled up to the couple, they jumped back on the motorcycle and sped away, Sweeten said. Just a few hundred yards down the road, near 3750 S. State, the motorcycle T-boned the side of an SUV that was making a left turn.
The driver of the SUV was in fair condition Thursday. Names of the two motorcycle riders were not immediately released. Sweeten did not know Thursday afternoon why the two attempted to flee or if they had any criminal history.
Southbound State Street in that area was expected to be closed for several hours.
— Pat Reavy
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14