SOUTH SALT LAKE — A motorcyclist who sped away for an unknown reason when approached by police crashed into the side of an SUV, resulting in his death and critically injuring his female passenger.
The accident happened just after 3 p.m. Thursday. A witness called police about a possible domestic argument between a man and woman who had pulled their motorcycle off to the side of the road near 3600 S. State, said South Salt Lake police detective Darin Sweeten.
As soon as the officer pulled up to the couple, they jumped back on the motorcycle and sped away, Sweeten said. Just a few hundred yards down the road, near 3750 S. State, the motorcycle T-boned the side of an SUV that was making a left turn.
The driver of the SUV was in fair condition Thursday. Names of the two motorcycle riders were not immediately released. Sweeten did not know Thursday afternoon why the two attempted to flee or if they had any criminal history.
Southbound State Street in that area was expected to be closed for several hours.
— Pat Reavy
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Chris Stewart endorses presidential... 18