Elder Jeffrey R. Holland posts picture of missionary granddaughter's return on Facebook
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, posted two pictures on Facebook Thursday after his granddaughter returned from serving an LDS mission.
"I often speak about missionary work because I love it so much. It is because I know how serving the Lord can change many lives — including your own. It was a thrill to have my own children return from their missions, but I was unprepared for the thrill it was to have my first grandchild return from her mission," Elder Holland posted on Facebook.
Many LDS general authorities joined Facebook and Google+ one year ago. More recently, several LDS leaders also joined Twitter, including Elder Holland.
Jared Covington, senior adviser over social media for the LDS Church, told the LDS Church News that many of these social sites are run on behalf of the leaders and not by them, but he also said some of the activity on the accounts could be personal.
"Church leaders may choose to visit the pages and read the comments that have been posted, but these pages are being published and maintained on their behalf, so people should not necessarily expect that the Brethren are regularly visiting these pages, but it is also not an impossibility," Covington said.
Elder Holland posted two pictures of himself and his granddaughter taken at the airport. He expressed appreciation for every missionary who serves but politely explained that he cannot embrace all of them upon their return.
"I should make it clear that I am not allowed to greet every returning missionary with a grandfatherly hug — only my own family!" Elder Holland posted online.
More information regarding the LDS Church and social media will be provided on Aug. 19 at 11:10 a.m. by Elder David A. Bednar, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, during his address at BYU Education Week, which will be streamed on BYUtv.org and the Mormon Channel.
Email: email@example.com | Twitter: @Sarah_DNews
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- LDS pitcher Matthew Neil asked for a trial...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 111
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 40
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 34
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 14
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10