Utah camp report & video: Tim Patrick, Dres Anderson shine
AUG. 14: The Utes held a single practice Thursday morning at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Utah coach Kyle Whittingham was pleased with the offense and noted that the defense has some work to do. “That’s the nature of camp, it’s give and take,” he said. “Some days the defense will get the best of it and some days the offense. But it was good to see the offense step up and come back with some purpose.”
Standout performers: Whittingham said that wide receivers Tim Patrick and Dres Anderson had nice days. He also noted that the running back ran hard. Quarterbacks Travis Wilson and Kendal Thompson received praise for stepping up and making plays, as did wide receiver Dominique Hatfield. On defense, Whittingham said safety Tevin Carter is shaking the rust off and getting better and better each day.
Quotable: “The offense really responded. We had some disappointing things in the scrimmage (Tuesday) but today during the live work they did a much better job of moving the football. We had a lot of situational work — a backed-up segment, a red zone segment, a short-yardage goal-line segment — and they handled it all very well.” — Kyle Whittingham
Injuries: Whittingham said that sophomore linebacker Uaea Masina was having a real nice camp until he went down with “a little injury.” Whittingham said he’ll be back but declined to elaborate on the undisclosed ailment — citing team policy only to discuss season-ending injuries in camp. Defensive end Pita Taumoepenu is getting linebacker reps in Masina’s absence.
Next up: The Utes have a double day scheduled for Friday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 145
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 47
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 27