Utah camp report & video: Tim Patrick, Dres Anderson shine
AUG. 14: The Utes held a single practice Thursday morning at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Utah coach Kyle Whittingham was pleased with the offense and noted that the defense has some work to do. “That’s the nature of camp, it’s give and take,” he said. “Some days the defense will get the best of it and some days the offense. But it was good to see the offense step up and come back with some purpose.”
Standout performers: Whittingham said that wide receivers Tim Patrick and Dres Anderson had nice days. He also noted that the running back ran hard. Quarterbacks Travis Wilson and Kendal Thompson received praise for stepping up and making plays, as did wide receiver Dominique Hatfield. On defense, Whittingham said safety Tevin Carter is shaking the rust off and getting better and better each day.
Quotable: “The offense really responded. We had some disappointing things in the scrimmage (Tuesday) but today during the live work they did a much better job of moving the football. We had a lot of situational work — a backed-up segment, a red zone segment, a short-yardage goal-line segment — and they handled it all very well.” — Kyle Whittingham
Injuries: Whittingham said that sophomore linebacker Uaea Masina was having a real nice camp until he went down with “a little injury.” Whittingham said he’ll be back but declined to elaborate on the undisclosed ailment — citing team policy only to discuss season-ending injuries in camp. Defensive end Pita Taumoepenu is getting linebacker reps in Masina’s absence.
Next up: The Utes have a double day scheduled for Friday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15