Preseason viewer’s guide: 10 Utah ties in NFL face off in Lions-Raiders matchup
Eric Risberg, AP
The opportunities for players to make a case for a spot on a 53-man NFL roster are dwindling.
The league's Aug. 26 deadline for rosters to be cut to 75 players is now just 12 days away, and all teams will have two more preseason games between now and then. Active rosters must be cut to 53 players by Aug. 30.
Among the top local games of interest this week is the Detroit Lions vs. Oakland Raiders matchup, which features 10 players with Utah ties, including seven rookies. Former Cougar Ezekiel Ansah was activated off the physically unable to perform list this week, but Lions coach Jim Caldwell said he will not play this weekend.
In total, eight games will be broadcast nationally this weekend, including the Kansas City Chiefs vs. Carolina Panthers game on Sunday (Fox) and the matchup between the Cleveland Browns and Washington Redskins on Monday (ESPN).
While established starters may see a bit more work this week compared to Week 1 of preseason, it's the third week of preseason play when they will see their bulk of their exhibition play.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 61
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 24
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 23
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13