Preseason viewer’s guide: 10 Utah ties in NFL face off in Lions-Raiders matchup
Eric Risberg, AP
The opportunities for players to make a case for a spot on a 53-man NFL roster are dwindling.
The league's Aug. 26 deadline for rosters to be cut to 75 players is now just 12 days away, and all teams will have two more preseason games between now and then. Active rosters must be cut to 53 players by Aug. 30.
Among the top local games of interest this week is the Detroit Lions vs. Oakland Raiders matchup, which features 10 players with Utah ties, including seven rookies. Former Cougar Ezekiel Ansah was activated off the physically unable to perform list this week, but Lions coach Jim Caldwell said he will not play this weekend.
In total, eight games will be broadcast nationally this weekend, including the Kansas City Chiefs vs. Carolina Panthers game on Sunday (Fox) and the matchup between the Cleveland Browns and Washington Redskins on Monday (ESPN).
While established starters may see a bit more work this week compared to Week 1 of preseason, it's the third week of preseason play when they will see their bulk of their exhibition play.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8