Preseason viewer’s guide: 10 Utah ties in NFL face off in Lions-Raiders matchup
Eric Risberg, AP
The opportunities for players to make a case for a spot on a 53-man NFL roster are dwindling.
The league's Aug. 26 deadline for rosters to be cut to 75 players is now just 12 days away, and all teams will have two more preseason games between now and then. Active rosters must be cut to 53 players by Aug. 30.
Among the top local games of interest this week is the Detroit Lions vs. Oakland Raiders matchup, which features 10 players with Utah ties, including seven rookies. Former Cougar Ezekiel Ansah was activated off the physically unable to perform list this week, but Lions coach Jim Caldwell said he will not play this weekend.
In total, eight games will be broadcast nationally this weekend, including the Kansas City Chiefs vs. Carolina Panthers game on Sunday (Fox) and the matchup between the Cleveland Browns and Washington Redskins on Monday (ESPN).
While established starters may see a bit more work this week compared to Week 1 of preseason, it's the third week of preseason play when they will see their bulk of their exhibition play.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 44
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 41