Wanted man leads West Valley police on chase, still on run
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man with an extensive criminal history who has warrants out for his arrest led police on a high-speed chase and was still at large early Thursday.
West Valley police were looking for Jason Val Stout, 26, and spotted him in a vehicle about 12:15 a.m. near 3500 South and 2200 West, said West Valley police spokeswoman Roxanne Vainuku. When he spotted police, he tried to speed away, she said.
Near 4100 South and Redwood Road, police deployed spikes and punctured one of the rear tires. Still, police say, Stout reached speeds of 85 mph on three tires and dangerously weaved in and out of traffic with no headlights and ran at least one stop sign.
Police terminated the chase near 5400 South and 900 West because of safety concerns to the public. Murray police, however, found the vehicle abandoned a short time later in a residential area near 5400 South and 600 East.
A female passenger, Kristy Vanrij, 25, was found in a nearby yard and arrested for investigation of fleeing.
Detectives have not located Stout as of Thursday morning. He was charged last month with DUI in West Valley Justice Court, and with receiving or transferring a stolen vehicle in March, a second-degree felony.
In 2010, Stout — whose moniker, according to court records, is "The Champ" — was sentenced to the Utah State Prison on a fleeing conviction. He was sentenced to one year in jail on a similar conviction in 2008, according to court records.
- Women leaders in Utah forging their own paths...
- Woman shot in Millcreek attack moved to...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Day of Dignity a compassionate gift from...
- Box Elder County jail inmate dies after being...
- Alleged distracted driver narrowly misses...
- Science or art? U. research featured in...
- Crews searching for Wyoming man after cliff...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 70
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 69
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 39
- Utah's plan for Medicaid expansion is... 29
- Women leaders in Utah forging their own... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't... 15
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor... 14
- Inmate charged with sending threatening... 13