Wanted man leads West Valley police on chase, still on run
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man with an extensive criminal history who has warrants out for his arrest led police on a high-speed chase and was still at large early Thursday.
West Valley police were looking for Jason Val Stout, 26, and spotted him in a vehicle about 12:15 a.m. near 3500 South and 2200 West, said West Valley police spokeswoman Roxanne Vainuku. When he spotted police, he tried to speed away, she said.
Near 4100 South and Redwood Road, police deployed spikes and punctured one of the rear tires. Still, police say, Stout reached speeds of 85 mph on three tires and dangerously weaved in and out of traffic with no headlights and ran at least one stop sign.
Police terminated the chase near 5400 South and 900 West because of safety concerns to the public. Murray police, however, found the vehicle abandoned a short time later in a residential area near 5400 South and 600 East.
A female passenger, Kristy Vanrij, 25, was found in a nearby yard and arrested for investigation of fleeing.
Detectives have not located Stout as of Thursday morning. He was charged last month with DUI in West Valley Justice Court, and with receiving or transferring a stolen vehicle in March, a second-degree felony.
In 2010, Stout — whose moniker, according to court records, is "The Champ" — was sentenced to the Utah State Prison on a fleeing conviction. He was sentenced to one year in jail on a similar conviction in 2008, according to court records.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11