FARMINGTON — A 41-year-old Hooper man working as a safety officer at the Davis County Fair was killed in an accident during the fair's demolition derby Wednesday.
Bren Ewing was checking a disabled vehicle during the derby just after 10 p.m., according to the Davis County Sheriff's Office. A pickup truck had collided with a Chevrolet Suburban at the Farmington Fairgrounds, and the truck was knocked onto its side. As Ewing was shutting off the fuel and checking on the driver, the vehicle shifted weight and fell on top of him.
Ewing was flown by medical helicopter to McKay-Dee Hospital Center where he died from his injuries.
His family released a brief prepared statement Thursday.
"He was a gentle, kind, generous and very forgiving man who has spent the past 15 years participating in demolition derbies across the country. He was loved by all those who knew him. Ewing is survived by his wife, Danyel, six children, one grandchild and one grandchild expected to be born by the end of the month. He is also survived by his demolition derby family. The accident was a tragic incident. The family is asking the media and the public to respect their privacy and give them time to grieve."
Ewing's Facebook page had several demolition derby pictures on display. On Thursday, several friends left messages on his wall.
"Very heavy heart today, with the loss of a good friend who passed away from injuries sustained in an accident while doing what he loved. Rest in peace, my friend," one stated.
Another person wrote, "My family lost a great man last night."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7