FARMINGTON — A 41-year-old Hooper man working as a safety officer at the Davis County Fair was killed in an accident during the fair's demolition derby Wednesday.
Bren Ewing was checking a disabled vehicle during the derby just after 10 p.m., according to the Davis County Sheriff's Office. A pickup truck had collided with a Chevrolet Suburban at the Farmington Fairgrounds, and the truck was knocked onto its side. As Ewing was shutting off the fuel and checking on the driver, the vehicle shifted weight and fell on top of him.
Ewing was flown by medical helicopter to McKay-Dee Hospital Center where he died from his injuries.
His family released a brief prepared statement Thursday.
"He was a gentle, kind, generous and very forgiving man who has spent the past 15 years participating in demolition derbies across the country. He was loved by all those who knew him. Ewing is survived by his wife, Danyel, six children, one grandchild and one grandchild expected to be born by the end of the month. He is also survived by his demolition derby family. The accident was a tragic incident. The family is asking the media and the public to respect their privacy and give them time to grieve."
Ewing's Facebook page had several demolition derby pictures on display. On Thursday, several friends left messages on his wall.
"Very heavy heart today, with the loss of a good friend who passed away from injuries sustained in an accident while doing what he loved. Rest in peace, my friend," one stated.
Another person wrote, "My family lost a great man last night."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Kaysville girl's death impacts community
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Legend of Vernal bank built by bricks sent...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 56
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 30
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 21
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 18
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18