FARMINGTON — A 41-year-old Hooper man working as a safety officer at the Davis County Fair was killed in an accident during the fair's demolition derby Wednesday.
Bren Ewing was checking a disabled vehicle during the derby just after 10 p.m., according to the Davis County Sheriff's Office. A pickup truck had collided with a Chevrolet Suburban at the Farmington Fairgrounds, and the truck was knocked onto its side. As Ewing was shutting off the fuel and checking on the driver, the vehicle shifted weight and fell on top of him.
Ewing was flown by medical helicopter to McKay-Dee Hospital Center where he died from his injuries.
His family released a brief prepared statement Thursday.
"He was a gentle, kind, generous and very forgiving man who has spent the past 15 years participating in demolition derbies across the country. He was loved by all those who knew him. Ewing is survived by his wife, Danyel, six children, one grandchild and one grandchild expected to be born by the end of the month. He is also survived by his demolition derby family. The accident was a tragic incident. The family is asking the media and the public to respect their privacy and give them time to grieve."
Ewing's Facebook page had several demolition derby pictures on display. On Thursday, several friends left messages on his wall.
"Very heavy heart today, with the loss of a good friend who passed away from injuries sustained in an accident while doing what he loved. Rest in peace, my friend," one stated.
Another person wrote, "My family lost a great man last night."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Jonathan Johnson says voters 'ready for a...
- Gov. Gary Herbert running hard for second...
- Wasatch Back co-founder finally gets to run...
- About Utah: Former Utah Jazz CEO Greg Miller...
- Deputy pulls over car, discovers injured...
- Family coping with 2 sons' suicides hope free...
- Pony Express rides again in Utah
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 70
- Preventing mass shootings? Utah... 67
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 42
- Chaffetz: I'm going to be 'kid in a... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 24
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 20
- Warnings come true: Indicted FLDS... 18