2 arrested after trying to rob store twice in 2 days, police say
TAYLORSVILLE — Two people who police say robbed a smoke shop on Tuesday weren't as successful when they allegedly tried to rob the same store 24 hours later.
Just before 11 a.m. Tuesday, two people — a 17-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man — approached Lucky's smoke shop, 4128 S. 1785 West. One went inside, brandished a handgun and demanded money while the other stood as a lookout, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The duo left with an undisclosed amount of cash.
On Wednesday, the same two suspects went back to the same store at almost exactly the same time, Hoyal said. This time, however, the same clerk who was working the day before recognized them and locked the doors before they could enter. The clerk then called 911 and Unified police officers who were in the area responded.
The 19-year-old man ran inside a nearby K-Mart, 1770 W. 4100 South, and out the back door, where he was taken into custody. He also dropped a handgun in the parking lot, and the gun was recovered by detectives, Hoyal said.
The 17-year-old ran into a nearby apartment, changed clothes and then tried to walk around the area without being noticed, according to Hoyal. An officer spotted him, however, and took him into custody.
Anai Ajack, 19, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated robbery. Utah court records show Ajack was charged with two class B misdemeanors in July, for allegedly failing to disclose his identity to authorities and for noise control regulations.
The name of the 17-year-old was not immediately available.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 52
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 27
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 25
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13
- Twice-deported man arrested in Salt... 13
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 12