Ravell Call, Deseret News
AUG. 13: The Utes held their second double day of the week. After an extensive morning practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium, they went for about an hour in helmets and shorts in the afternoon at the baseball field. Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said they got a lot of work done and there was a lot of energy, good concentration and the team took a step forward.
Standout performers: Whittingham praised the play of senior defensive end Nate Orchard. “You can’t block him off the edge,” Whittingham said. “When he’s in a groove, he’s nearly impossible for us to block off the edge, which hopefully is the same for other teams.” Whittingham also noted performances by linebackers Jason Whittingham and Jared Norris, as well as defensive tackle Seni Fauonuku.
In the afternoon, wide receiver Dres Anderson had a strong showing. Running back Devontae Booker was also singled out by Whittingham.
Quotable: “These guys aren’t afraid to work. It’s not a question or a matter of not putting in the time and the effort, we’ve just got to get better results. We’ve got to coach them better. It starts with coaching.” — Kyle Whittingham
Injuries: Whittingham announced that sophomore cornerback Reggie Porter will be out for the season with a knee injury that will require surgery.
Next up: The Utes have a single practice scheduled for Thursday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21