Ravell Call, Deseret News
AUG. 13: The Utes held their second double day of the week. After an extensive morning practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium, they went for about an hour in helmets and shorts in the afternoon at the baseball field. Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said they got a lot of work done and there was a lot of energy, good concentration and the team took a step forward.
Standout performers: Whittingham praised the play of senior defensive end Nate Orchard. “You can’t block him off the edge,” Whittingham said. “When he’s in a groove, he’s nearly impossible for us to block off the edge, which hopefully is the same for other teams.” Whittingham also noted performances by linebackers Jason Whittingham and Jared Norris, as well as defensive tackle Seni Fauonuku.
In the afternoon, wide receiver Dres Anderson had a strong showing. Running back Devontae Booker was also singled out by Whittingham.
Quotable: “These guys aren’t afraid to work. It’s not a question or a matter of not putting in the time and the effort, we’ve just got to get better results. We’ve got to coach them better. It starts with coaching.” — Kyle Whittingham
Injuries: Whittingham announced that sophomore cornerback Reggie Porter will be out for the season with a knee injury that will require surgery.
Next up: The Utes have a single practice scheduled for Thursday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Roger Federer pulls out of French Open
- Pacquiao's Senate victory brings him closer...
- Phil Mickelson to forfeit nearly $1 million...
- Perfect 10: Cavs stay unbeaten in postseason,...
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 49
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 39
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 30
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 21
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Morning links: Bronco Mendenhall and... 15
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 8
- Utah State forward Jalen Moore removes... 7