Ravell Call, Deseret News
AUG. 13: The Utes held their second double day of the week. After an extensive morning practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium, they went for about an hour in helmets and shorts in the afternoon at the baseball field. Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said they got a lot of work done and there was a lot of energy, good concentration and the team took a step forward.
Standout performers: Whittingham praised the play of senior defensive end Nate Orchard. “You can’t block him off the edge,” Whittingham said. “When he’s in a groove, he’s nearly impossible for us to block off the edge, which hopefully is the same for other teams.” Whittingham also noted performances by linebackers Jason Whittingham and Jared Norris, as well as defensive tackle Seni Fauonuku.
In the afternoon, wide receiver Dres Anderson had a strong showing. Running back Devontae Booker was also singled out by Whittingham.
Quotable: “These guys aren’t afraid to work. It’s not a question or a matter of not putting in the time and the effort, we’ve just got to get better results. We’ve got to coach them better. It starts with coaching.” — Kyle Whittingham
Injuries: Whittingham announced that sophomore cornerback Reggie Porter will be out for the season with a knee injury that will require surgery.
Next up: The Utes have a single practice scheduled for Thursday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47