Searchers find Boy Scout reported missing in High Uintas
Lynn Arave, Deseret News
MOUNTAIN HOME, Duchesne County — A Boy Scout from Wasatch County spent more than 12 hours separated from his troop in the High Uintas before he was spotted Wednesday by a Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter crew.
The 15-year-old from Midway was part of a troop that had hiked to Five Point Lake to camp, according to the Duchesne County Sheriff's Office.
On Tuesday night, the troop went fishing at nearby Superior Lake. Some of the Scouts decided to return to camp, which was about a half mile away, the sheriff's office said.
The 15-year-old initially stayed at the lake with the rest of the troop, then decided to try and catch up with the Scouts who had already headed back to camp. That's when he got lost, deputies said.
When Scout leaders realized the boy was missing about 9 p.m., one of them began a 12-mile hike to call for help, according to the sheriff's office, which received the first report of a missing person about 6 a.m. Wednesday.
Members of the sheriff's search and rescue team were called to the Yellowstone trail head in Yellowstone Canyon, about 40 miles north of Duchesne, to begin looking for the teen. Authorities also requested help from the DPS helicopter.
The helicopter crew spotted the missing Scout just before 10:15 a.m. They were able to land nearby and determine that the teen was "in perfect health," deputies said.
The boy was flown by helicopter back to his troop's campsite.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Family frustrated with lack of charges in...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint claims...
- Smithfield man stabbed father to death after...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from...
- Charges: Man responsible for death of toddler...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 49
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18
- FEC complaint filed against Chaffetz by... 16